• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lets talk about Pie fillings

Wendy DeBord

Blueberries contain natural thickeners, so they require less starch to set then other berries. That was your mistake.....you can't use the amount of thickener called for in a BB pie universally in other fruit pies.

Thanks Wendy. I didn't know this. How much cornstarch would you recommend for 5 cups of mixed berries weighing about 1.5 lbs? I used tapioca flour because I had it available and figured I'd give it a try. Now I'm anxious to learn more about it. If I have time this weekend, I'll make a few pies using different thickeners and report back.

Ilene

Blueberries contain natural thickeners, so they require less starch to set then other berries. That was your mistake.....you can't use the amount of thickener called for in a BB pie universally in other fruit pies.

Thanks Wendy. I didn't know this. How much cornstarch would you recommend for 5 cups of mixed berries weighing about 1.5 lbs? I used tapioca flour because I had it available and figured I'd give it a try. Now I'm anxious to learn more about it. If I have time this weekend, I'll make a few pies using different thickeners and report back.

Beanie, you might want to give Instant Clearjel a try for fruit/berry pies. It's a modified cornstarch that thickens fruit fillings beautifully. I think most commercial fruit pies contain it or something similar, such as Therm-Flo. A local Mennonite business near me sells read-to-throw-in-the-pieshell homemade pie fillings and they thicken theirs with Therm-Flo. There is absolutely zero runniness. Actually, it's a little TOO firm for my taste so I usually buy my own fruit and thicken it with ClearJel. I believe I recall that Cook's Illustrated recommends thickening berry pies with ClearJel.

Potato starch is my second favorite fruit pie thickener. I find the fruit in the pie is less cloudy and more pure tasting using potato starch rather than cornstarch. You can substitute it in equal proportion.

I'd go with these proportions for a mixed berry pie:

5 1/2 c. fruit

1/2 c. sugar

2 tbsp. cornstarch

pinch of salt

1 tbsp. lemon juice

Don't take it out of the oven until you see that it's come to a boil, to activate the thickener.

Thanks Wendy. I'll give it a try.

Ilene

Beanie, you might want to give Instant Clearjel a try for fruit/berry pies. It's a modified cornstarch that thickens fruit fillings beautifully. I think most commercial fruit pies contain it or something similar, such as  Therm-Flo. A local Mennonite business near me sells read-to-throw-in-the-pieshell homemade pie fillings and they thicken theirs with Therm-Flo. There is absolutely zero runniness. Actually, it's a little TOO firm for my taste so I usually buy my own fruit and thicken it with ClearJel. I believe I recall that Cook's Illustrated recommends thickening berry pies with ClearJel.

Steven,

This is really interesting. I've heard good things about Clear-jel but never tried it. I have an account with the wholesale distributor that supplies the store in your link for Thermo-Flo. I just checked their online catalog and Instant Clearjel and Therm-Flo are both available at a fraction of the King Arthur price -- but only in 25 lb. bags :blink: . They will send me a free sample to try. If it works out, I may be able to split a bulk bag with some Amish families who just moved into my area.

I just found the following conversion on this website.

1 tblspoon cornstarch = 1.5 tbls Instant Clearjel

2 tbls flour or tapioca = 1 tbls. Instant Clearjel

This confirms that I didn't use enough tapioca flour in my berry pie.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Ilene

Ilene

I just found the following conversion on this website.

1 tblspoon cornstarch = 1.5 tbls Instant Clearjel

2 tbls flour or tapioca =  1 tbls. Instant Clearjel

By the way, the above link is related to canning, not baking, but I think the conversion ratios would be the same.

Ilene

• 11 months later...