• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie Kennedy RESTAURANT (not Wine Bar)

Nondoctor

I've only had one meal at JK Wine Bar. I enjoyed it especially with the wine pairings.

I'm not sure I understand Kenk's protest about the place. It seems just the name 'wine bar' has advertised to him something that it is not. I'm not sure the name of a place in the age of Susur, Crush and Chehoski (which I think may have been the name of the previous butcher), that the name tells that much about the place. Uncomfortable chairs have been mentioned before (I sat at a table) and the smell of cooking food is definitely part of an open kitchen.

I suggest researching the place a little more before arriving to find it is opposite to your expectations. As you didn't eat there, how do you know it doesn't deserve post after post?

Siri

user posted image

Today's Globe and Mail has a (mostly) rave review by Joanne Kates. It's her first review since last spring, and she probably thinks of it as a headliner. Kates really likes his food, and is especially fond of the sourcing done by Kennedy.

She was cranky about service: Waiting a half hour in the bar past reservation, asking (and not getting) a server to take her wine glass to the table, and having to refill glasses on her own at the table.

But then , she has always been our special princess!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hear about the lack of duck....so what did you have?

We had to re-eat lunch after an iffy lunch at Sassafraz (we were shopping with the wives and headed down after they went to the hotel to nap before dinner)

3 dips, the terrine, and something else I don't recall but drank a great Rolly Gassmann gerwurtz, a fuedo di san gregorio fiano, and my buddy had a loire white and a morgan pinot I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hear about the lack of duck....so what did you have?

We had to re-eat lunch after an iffy lunch at Sassafraz (we were shopping with the wives and headed down after they went to the hotel to nap before dinner)

3 dips, the terrine, and something else I don't recall but drank a great Rolly Gassmann gerwurtz, a fuedo di san gregorio fiano, and my buddy had a loire white and a morgan pinot I believe.

3 dips :wacko: One more person adding to the air pollution in the wine bar, it can be a little overpowering sometimes!

Hey Gordon we were following you round :biggrin:

We popped by the bar last Saturday for a few glasses - no space for food, though. I like the space, and the staff were ultra-friendly.

Had the Burrowing Owl Pinot Grigio (good but not worth the cash), an excellent Thornbury Pinot Noir (lots of jammy fruit) and what should have been a small glass of the Bonny Doon Heart of Darkness, but we got to finish the bottle :biggrin::biggrin:

Note to compiler of wine list - Tannat has two 'n's not one.

The Doon was very very interesting - Randall is now co-producing (not sure of the details) with small vineyards around Europe. Heart of Darkness is a Madiran - BIIIG wine, think Shiraz on steroids - alas I can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK. Sniffff.

Sarah

Sarah

Hey Gordon we were following you round  :biggrin:

We popped by the bar last Saturday for a few glasses - no space for food, though. I like  the space, and the staff were ultra-friendly.

Had the Burrowing Owl Pinot Grigio (good but not worth the cash), an excellent Thornbury Pinot Noir (lots of jammy fruit) and what should have been a small glass of the Bonny Doon Heart of Darkness, but we got to finish the bottle  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Note to compiler of wine list - Tannat has two 'n's not one.

The Doon was very very interesting - Randall is now co-producing (not sure of the details) with small vineyards around Europe. Heart of Darkness is a Madiran - BIIIG wine, think Shiraz on steroids - alas I can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK. Sniffff.

Sarah

Yes Sarah, I kept trying to get your attention - I even wore my favorite shirt :raz:

"Note to compiler of wine list - Tannat has two 'n's not one."

Perhaps you had consumed a little too much "heart of Darkness" that evening?*

My wine list has always spelled tannat with two 'n's

Glad you enjoyed it though... I private ordered around 6 cases and believe that we are the only establishment offering it in Ontario.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Perhaps you had comsumed a little too "heart of Darkness" much that evening?*

Glad you enjoyed it though... I private ordered around 6 cases and believe that we are the only establishment offering it in Ontario.

So that's who you are....

Oops!

You are right - I must have consumed FAR too much :-)

A splendid purchase and my apologies for wrongly maligning your speling.

Umm .. and also for saying that the Burrowing Owl was perhaps ever so slightly not very good value for money; I'm sure I must be wrong about that as well!! :huh::rolleyes:

Sarah

Sarah

Perhaps you had consumed a little too much "heart of Darkness" that evening?*

I think Randall has many interesting wines, but what made you choose his Tannat over something like a Montus or Bouscasse? It tastes reminiscent of Tannat, but I hardly think it is a good example of it or Madiran.

In any event, its good to get people drinking new things and I think wines in that vein work really well with many of the dishes there.

Edited by Tom Gandey (log)

Hi Tom,

I too am a fan of the Doonery, and I chose the 'Darkness' because it was the first time I'd seen one of their wines produced in co-operation with a European vineyard. We live in London, so we are lucky enough to have a huge range of wines available to us. When travelling, I like to try things I know I either can't get at home or will be prohibitively expensive (like the '90 Summus we had in Montalcino in June). Hence the choice. And of course, to check out the label!

I checked the Bonny Doon site yesterday - seems like they're on a mission to try out as many weird and wonderful European grape varieties as possible. I guess moral of the story is keep checking back at JK's to see what's new :biggrin:

Cheers!

Sarah

Sarah

Hi Tom,

I too am a fan of the Doonery, and I chose the 'Darkness' because it was the first time I'd seen one of their wines produced in co-operation with a European vineyard.

I had it for the first time last Friday at JK as well. Curious, I figured I would give it a shot and I what I tasted wasn't Madiran, but an overripe new world wine that tasted only loosely of Tannat. Your Australian Shiraz example is right on the money, its just big and non-descript.

You should be able to pickup Montus readily in the UK. Look for the 2001 which is an absolute monster but is still somehow balanced. Expect loads of black-fruit, earth, licorice along with good acidity and a ton of sweet tannin. Excellent wine at an even better price.

"overripe new world wine that tasted only loosely of Tannat."

I would disgaree here, hence my purchase.

It has a gutsy, slobbery, dirty fruit focus with a strict tannic core that grabbed me by the balls....

New world?

Meh.

A little bit of that.

But that's what Randall G. is reaching for with this dabbling, non?

I love the inherent (and almost forced) fruit intensity myself.

And I'm slowly drinking all of it.

I have 4 bottles left from my private order of 48.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Hi Tom,

I too am a fan of the Doonery, and I chose the 'Darkness' because it was the first time I'd seen one of their wines produced in co-operation with a European vineyard. We live in London, so we are lucky enough to have a huge range of wines available to us. When travelling, I like to try things I know I either can't get at home or will be prohibitively expensive (like the '90 Summus we had in Montalcino in June). Hence the choice. And of course, to check out the label! 

I checked the Bonny Doon site yesterday - seems like they're on a mission to try out as many weird and wonderful European grape varieties as possible. I guess moral of the story is keep checking back at JK's to see what's new  :biggrin:

Cheers!

Sarah

I trade you all the Bonny Doon you wish for whatever old Clarets you may have kicking around your basement. :wink:

"overripe new world wine that tasted only loosely of Tannat."

I would disgaree here, hence my purchase.

It has a gutsy, slobbery, dirty fruit focus with a strict tannic core that grabbed me by the balls....

New world?

Meh.

A little bit of that.

But that's what Randall G. is reaching for with this dabbling, non?

I love the inherent (and almost forced) fruit intensity myself.

And I'm slowly drinking all of it.

I have 4 bottles left from my private order of 48.

I think Tom may be referring more to a young tannat and it's astringent tannins and it's plum and tar profile vs the tart cherry I get from the Bonny Doon.

I trade you all the Bonny Doon you wish for whatever old Clarets you may have kicking around your basement. :wink:

Alas we live in a central London apartment, with three guys living in the basement. Not sure they'd be pleased to be described as old clarets.

I just bought a couple of bottles of Domaine Berthoumieu 2001 Madiran (Cuvee Charles de Batz), to go with the roast pheasant on Sunday. This won a Gold medal and, I think, a Trophy in the "Eclectic Reds" section of the International Wine Competition 2004. I'll let you guys know how "the real thing" compares to the upstart Randall's collaboration. I think this is blended with a bit of Cab Sauv, which might not be the same mix as the Darkness.

Edited to add

PS Gordon: got it from the same supplier who is one of the very few people in the UK to carry the Whale Haven Pinot Noir we both had at Perigee :biggrin:

Cheers!

Sarah

Sarah,

I think many Madiran have some CS in the blend to make it softer (sic). Some even include a small percentage of CF as well.

Bonny Doon is really great at introducing people to under appreciated grapes and apparently they have done it again... Amazing what you can get people to try if you market it properly!