• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need help with a gift...

dvs

if you were getting a thank you gift (say between $400 - $800) - something really nice and related to wine - for a guy who owns a vineyard and has plenty of money, and has no shortage of wine-related stuff, what would you want/get?

the person lives in the santa barbara area

TIA!!

if you were getting a thank you gift (say between $400 - $800) - something really nice and related to wine - for a guy who owns a vineyard and has plenty of money, and has no shortage of wine-related stuff, what would you want/get?

the person lives in the santa barbara area

TIA!!

A bottle of Far Niente's 1999 Dolce, if I could find it!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'll happily find and sell you some 99 Dolce for $400/bottle.

To answer the original question, I'd go with an interesting birthyear bottle - assuming of course you know what year he was born. Hiring a personal chef to cook for him is also always a good choice. If you want to buy a special bottle for him, dessert wines are a good pick - 1975 d'yquem should be available in your price range.

I'll happily find and sell you some 99 Dolce for $400/bottle.

I was thinking of the Dolce Saint Nicholas, so pardon me! It's a lovely gift, and partially tax-deductible (20% of the price goes directly to charity).

Phew. Thought I was going crazy there.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007