• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris parks for picnics

Since park names were being dropped in docsconz's 'Upcoming Paris Trip' thread, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of favorite picnic and 'let the children run and play for a bit' places.

I'll start with Bux's Parc André Citroen, and hope he'll add a few more words.

One of my favorite's is Parc de Bercy, with its water, little bridges, flowers, lawns and sitting areas. It is a block off the #24 busline or a half-block from the Cour St. Emilion Metro station.

Where would you choose to have your picnic? Do you envision "Sunday in the park with George" with children of all ages or a "déjeuner sur l'herbe"?

eGullet member #80.

I will follow this topic with interest. Thank you, Margaret, for posting it.

Any thoughts on the Buttes Chaumant?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Any thoughts on the Buttes Chaumant?

OK for running around, tiny swing area.

Best roped off playground, ponies and Guignols - Luxembourg

Biggest slide and nice playground - La Villette

Best seclusion with playground, train and water - Boulogne

Nice water and duck chasing - Citroen

Best sitting and watching and small swing area - Monceau

Best flowers, bikes - Vincennes (Zoo is pathetic and being renovated)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John, I'm printing this out for our next visit, thanks. I can second the Luxembourg reco' -- our five-year-old always makes us spend most of our yearly stay in Paris there, and I can understand why -- insanely great playground! (And since the surrounding park is my idea of heaven, I can't complain too much.) We were a bit depressed by our Buttes-Chaumont visit this summer. We adored it when we lived across the street twenty years ago, and it's our impression that it's fallen into some disrepair. And the playground is tiny -- the duck-feeding's okay though.

I have to agree that for its' overall abundance of attractions: manège, pony rides, playgrounds with fun devices prohibited in the U.S. by our litigiousness, guignols, toy sailboats for rent, the Luxembourg Gardens is hard to top. One much smaller gem of a park is Batignolles with a lovely watercourse with swans and several species of ducks and play areas for smaller children.

. . . .

I'll start with Bux's Parc André Citroen, and hope he'll add a few more words.

. . . .

The photo in that link gives an idication of the scale with that vast central lawn. That lawn is 21st century scale and so unlike the 19th century parks most of us might associate with Paris. for that alone, it's worth the visit. The dominance of that lawn in the photo gives lie to the intrigue of the other sections, but it's size is an indication that you might not find your favorite corner on a first visit. The fountain are of which I spoke is that large paved area at the head of the lawn in front of and between those two glass conservatories. It too is of a super scale that allows a young one to enter a world of water sprays. Assuming the fountains are on at the time. I have no idea if they're on a schedule.

I've only been there once. I was impressed by the originality of the design. It's a departure from previous parks, yet I felt it was very French and Parisian.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.