• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stork Club Food & Wine Menu

Ruby

I used to collect lots of Stork Club memorabilia until it started getting reproduced (and ruined) like Fiestaware. The Stork Club was located at 3 East 53rd Street, Manhattan, which is now the vest pocket Paley Park. I believe the club began in the 1920s as a speakeasy but the menus I have are either from the 1940s or 1950s.

Here is a sampling from the menus and separate wine list.

Potage du Jour - Cream of Fresh Brocolli 75 cents

Baked Filet of Sole, Lady Egmond $3.00

Alligator Pear with Crab Meat Ravigote $3.25

Broiled Mackeral, Morton Downey $3.00

Broiled Beef Hamburger w/FF Pot. $3.00

Chicken a la Walter Winchell $3.75

Legumes & Pommes were extra:

Fresh Asparagus $1.60

Hash Browned Pommes or Parisienne 75 cents

Delmonico Pommes 75 cents

Bread & Butter 50 cents

Fromage: Roquefort 90 cents, Cream Cheese, Bar Le-Duc $2.00

Brie $1.00, Bel Paese $1.15

Coffee w/Cream 60 cents, Sanka or Postum 60 cents

Cafe Diable $3.00, Irish Coffee $1.75, Espresso $1.00

Hot Chocolate or Cocoa $1.50

Desserts: Baked Alaska for 2 $7.00, Coupe Nesselrode $1.50

Cherries Jubilee $2.75, Alfonso Mango Ice Cream $1.25, Crepes Suzette, $3.25, Coupe Aux Marrons $2.00, various flavors of ice cream 95 cents.

Wine suggestions with fish: White Burgundy or Bordeaux, Champagne, or Rhine Wine

Wine suggestions with entrees:

Red Burgundy, Red Bordeaux, Champagne

Drink list: regular drinks $1.50

Wine List: Cliquot $18 Half Bottle $9.50

Moet & Chandon & Dom Perignon $$25.00

Gevrey Chambertin $8.00

Puligny Montrachet $9.00

Chateau Mouton Rothschild (1957) $14.00

Chateau Margaux (1955) $16.00

Chateau Carbonnieux $12.00

Those were the days, my friends except in those days those prices were a lot of money for someone like a secretary making only $125 a week or an accountant make $10,00 a year! :smile:

Wow~

Awesome post Ruby.

When she was a lot younger my late mom used to go to a place in the low west 50s I believe called Mikes....the decor was that of ships and nautical....had rooms like the Submarine Room.  I have a menu up in the attic Ive been meaning to pull out.  I also have a menu from the Hamburg Amerika Lines ship my Polish relatives came over on.

damn impressive.

God Im loving this place.

If it only had a chat room.

Wow~

Awesome post Ruby.

When she was a lot younger my late mom used to go to a place in the low west 50s I believe called Mikes....the decor was that of ships and nautical....had rooms like the Submarine Room.  I have a menu up in the attic Ive been meaning to pull out.  I also have a menu from the Hamburg Amerika Lines ship my Polish relatives came over on.

damn impressive.

God Im loving this place.

If it only had a chat room.

NYFire, thanks, I love menus. Wow, the Hamburg Amerika Lines - is it dated? How about a sampling of the food on the menu?

I also have some old Hawaiian menus that are cool. I collect Hawaiiana stuff too.  :smile:

Ruby, what a great thing to collect. Do you have any ashtrays? What about the Blue Angel? Sherman Billingsley, what a great name.

Robert, I've got Stork Club stuff galore! I have lipstick (Hot Red), powder compacts, the little stork with the top hat that's either a flower holder or holds a perfume flacon. I've got different black ashtrays and they had a large ashtray just for banquets. Sherman Billingsley used to give out items like a gold powder compact for his special customers. It's been rumored that Billingsley used to buy out all the fresh flowers from funeral homes and place them on the club's tables.

All this cafe society stuff used to fascinate me. My mom went to El Morocco (she didn't take any ashtrays although she smoked Chesterfields) and I believe there was another supper club called the Colony Club. I really could get into that kind of elegance now.

I'm not too familiar with the Blue Angel nightclub but I loved the movie with Marlene Dietrich in it. "Falling in Love Again..."

:smile:

Ruuuuuuuubyyyyyyyyy~

Guten Tag!

Das ist der menu from der Hamburg-Amerika Linie Mailsteamer Pretoria...Farewell Dinner...9 November 1913

oxtail soup

chicken consumme with beef marrow

Salmon, Holland Style

Loin of Beef, Garnished, Champignon Sauce

Asparagus a la Cream

Roast Turkey

Cranberries  Wax Bean Salad

Ice Cream a la Bajazzo   Macaroon Pastry

Cheese    Fruit   Coffee