• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Open Source Beer - Vores Øl

fatmat

Danish students have created an open source beer recipe.

The idea is similar to open source software. The recipe is freely available. You are welcome to make your own and sell the product. However, the recipe will always be freely and publicly available. Also, if you make any changes to the recipe, you must share your recipe. Finally, if you sell this beer, you must attribute the recipe to the original author.

Here's a link to the website... Vores Øl

I like the idea that people around the planet will be evolving the recipe and sharing the results. I've never brewed a beer before, but I was going to give this a go.

Is anyone else interested? What are your thoughts on the idea?

Neat marketing angle... but calling it an open source beer really means nothing. The net is chock full of beer recipes, and there is no intellectual property law that would lock them all up in any way similar to what the default options of copyright do to software.

This is just another beer recipe that is out on the net. Have a look over at hbd.org sometime if you're in need of inspiration for brewing recipes. Nobody over there will try to collect royalties if you brew their beer either.

Problem with a one size fits all recipe is that one size generally can't. Ingredient availability is not uniform unless everybody mail orders from the same spot... and consistency will only be maintained so long as that shop keeps their stock the same, and fresh. The Danes' idea of a caffeinated beer sounds kinda scary, looking at the recipe... and guarana is fine as a Red Bull flavoring, but not so much as a beer adjunct...

As to the applicability of the creative commons license to beer, I'll just say it is a category mistake and leave it at that. As to their recipe, it is woefully incomplete, and incapable of producing consistent product based on what they reveal.

Really, brewing beer is not hard... not nearly as hard as coding decent software. OSS coders win a much bigger tip of my hat than OS brewers.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I agree that all brewing is a bit of fun.

While I love the idea of the Creative Commons license, and applaud those who chose to use it, I have to look a bit funny at projects that misuse it. Beer is not valid copyright subject matter, and treating it as though it were confuses the issue. The recipe is not, at its core, valid copyright subject matter either. And these kids pretty clearly don't have a patent on their beer that they could be licensing under the Creative Commons either.

So, while this project brings together two things I really enjoy- brewing and open source licensing, it does so in a way that I can't wholeheartedly support because it confuses too many issues... both zymurgical and legal.

Maybe it's just me, but category mistakes get on my nerves.

Talking about an "open source beer" is sort of like talking about a skinless boneless chocolate bar. Extolling the absence of something that was never there in the first place.

Copyright law makes all software (and any other creative expression fixed in a tangible medium) come into existence shackled and bound to its creator (or their employer). To GPL an original work is a voluntary abandonment of a number of very restrictive rights that the law automatically hands out. The copyright powers are what enable the GPL to force people to publish their code if they make a derivative work based on a GPL'ed work. It is a big deal.

Beer is born free. I could, through experimentation, generate a beer identical to that of any commercial brewery, and they don't have a legal right to stop me. There is no abandonment of any rights involved in publishing your beer recipe.

Tracing beer evolution through printed recipes is also, I think, a pointless exercise. Two brewers making the same recipe will undoubtedly generate different flavored beers just through their own habits and materials. You ferment in a carboy, I ferment in a bucket... You time the boil from when the thermometer says 212, I time the boil from when there are rolling bubbles on top of my kettle... You use 240L chocolate malt, I use 350L, etc.

Edited by cdh (log)

I've been following this discussion without really investing any energy into the debate, or forming a strong opinion on the brewing or legal "issues" presented. I thought I would add another perspective, that of a twenty-something Dane who is just an everyday beer lover, not a brewer, not one who posts on any food or drink -related forums, not a foodie, not an attorney, and does have a lot of Danish pride. My Danish son, to whom I've referred in posts quite often, is here and read about this elsewhere. He was eager to ask me if I heard about it. It was a pleasant reminder to me that not all read so much into these sort of things. His perspective: "That's cool!"

Meanwhile, I am very pleased that we have these thoughtful and well presented discussions and friendly debates on our developing eG Beer Forum! On this and other beer topics, I look forward to reading the continuing points of view from our growing number of well-informed beer enthusiasts.

This thread reminded me too that I've never seen a mean-spirited post from eG beer people. Like the old Bud Lite commercial, I love you man!"

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've been following this discussion without really investing any energy into the debate, or forming a strong opinion on the brewing or legal "issues" presented.  I thought I would add another perspective, that of a twenty-something Dane who is just an everyday beer lover, not a brewer, not one who posts on any food or drink -related forums, not a foodie, not an attorney, and does have a lot of Danish pride.  My Danish son, to whom I've referred in posts quite often, is here and  read about this elsewhere. He was eager to ask me if I heard about it.  It was a pleasant reminder to me that not all read so much into these sort of things.  His perspective:  "That's cool!"

Meanwhile, I am very pleased that we have these thoughtful and well presented discussions and friendly debates on our developing eG Beer Forum!  On this and other beer topics, I look forward to reading the continuing points of view from our growing number of well-informed beer enthusiasts. 

This thread reminded me too that I've never seen a mean-spirited post from eG beer people.  Like the old Bud Lite commercial, I love you man!"

Hi Susan, great to hear from a Dane. I've spent a little time in Denmark and love the place. My ex girlfriend is Danish. I can even say rodgrod med flode. (not sure if I can spell it tho!!) I even have a few Danish cookbooks (which do get cooked from) , a liking for Gamel Dansk, Akvavit, and a a bottle of Turkish Pepper Sweet Vodka (Smo Gro???) in the cupboard.

I'm glad that the Vores Ol concept has reached your son. I see it as a bit of fun that may help to encourage a new generation of beer brewing folk - If it has reached your son, then it may be working...