• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to LA next week

PurpleDingo99

Im going to SoCal next week to look at colleges and will be all over the place (San Diego, Orange, Hollywierd, and everywhere in between.) Ive never really spent much time down there, but my parents have already picked out a couple spots along memory lane (Kelbo's, to name one.) I want to find one place where I can spot some stars, and one place that is the pinnacle of LA-style bizzare/trendy, even if the food falls behind the spectacle. If there are any other must eats, I would love to hear about them. There will be three of us, and we arnt afraid to spend a little money (one big splurge and several more affordable places would probably be ideal.)

> are there restaurants down there?

Cute.

Where are you coming from? What type of food do you have there, and what do you seek?

> ... pinnacle of LA-style bizzare/trendy...

I was born and raised in SoCal, and I'm not even sure where that would be...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Going to LA next week, are there restaurants down there?

No, PurpleDingo99, there are no restaurants down in LA. There are a bunch of pseudo-restaurants called SABS (See And Be Seen) ... Yeesh!!! :angry::cool:

I want to find one place where I can spot some stars, and one place that is the pinnacle of LA-style bizzare/trendy, even if the food falls behind the spectacle.

Since Joe couldn't help you (he is from Torrance!), let's see if I can help you ...

Some of the more popular places in Southern California, particularly on the weekends, are Santa Monica 3rd St. Promenade & Venice Beach on the Westside (that's west of the 405 freeway); The Farmer's Market/The Grove around 3rd & Fairfax; Melrose Ave.; Old Town Pasadena along Colorado Blvd. Even though I haven't eaten there yet, you can try Spago's in Beverly Hills. You'll have a good chance seeing some stars there. One suggestion: go there for dessert, at around 10-11 p.m. I heard that from Sherry Yard when she was doing a demo at UCLA earlier this year.

If there are any other must eats, I would love to hear about them. There will be three of us, and we arnt afraid to spend a little money (one big splurge and several more affordable places would probably be ideal.)

If you can be more specific, that will help. Do you want historic and/or retro? Or do you want the newest? Seafood? Ethnic? Casual neighborhood places? Westside? Beverly Hills? Downtown LA? Pasadena? San Gabriel Valley? Southern California is really spread out.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Several years ago I made a rare visit to LA and thought it'd be fun to check out one of those movie star joints. I did a little research and headed to The Ivy in Beverly Hills.

I don't own a TV and only see a few movies a year so it's quite possible for me to be surrounded by so-called celebrities and for me to be completely oblivious. I do know who Paris Hilton is but that's because a friend sent me a link a few years ago. :cool:

My friend and I arrived and we were seated out in the patio. It seemed everyone was looking around at everyone else but trying to pretend they weren't. I don't know how many of these people were "celebrities" and how many were gawkers, but I did sense a peculiar atmosphere about the place.

I expected the food to be terrible but to my pleasant surprise, I enjoyed my meal very much. I ordered the fried chicken. This was really good fried chicken. Years later, I still dream of this fried chicken. I think they put crack in it. Makes sense given the clientele, huh? :biggrin:

I didn't recognize anyone in the place but it was obvious that many of these people considered themselves important and I also saw my share of plastic surgery victims. I don't know if The Ivy is still A-list as they say down there but I did have a good time on my visit.

Go there, eat some fried chicken, gawk.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

Im going to SoCal next week to look at colleges and will be all over the place (San Diego, Orange, Hollywierd, and everywhere in between.) Ive never really spent much time down there, but my parents have already picked out a couple spots along memory lane (Kelbo's, to name one.) I want to find one place where I can spot some stars, and one place that is the pinnacle of LA-style bizzare/trendy, even if the food falls behind the spectacle. If there are any other must eats, I would love to hear about them. There will be three of us, and we arnt afraid to spend a little money (one big splurge and several more affordable places would probably be ideal.)

Wholefoods Santa Monica and the park a few blocks east you'll see celebrities, but there's no guarantee on any given day at any given hour. Generally restaurants on the Westside is where you'll see them, lots of them some days, none on others. The latest hot clubs attract them, but they usually show up with an entourage.

As for LA style bizzare trendy, Silverlake/Los Feliz has some, Venice too.

The people you are most likely to be watch at the Ivy/Spago are other tourists staring back at you hoping to see a celebrity. Although that in itself may be a fun experience. I never see a celebrity at any restaurant in LA. I hear Koi is a good place to stare at beautiful people though. If you don't see any beatiful patrons, you can atleast stare at the pretty waiters.

Edited by savvysearch (log)

Maple Drive is another big celebrity draw, but honestly, seeing "famous" people at restaurants in LA seems extremely common. Every time we hit up Lucques, A.O.C., Meson G, Bastide, The Little Door, etc., there are always people to see. Personally, I pick restaurants for the food. The scenery is a footnote.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Damn! :shock:

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll have my folks sort through these later.

For the record, im coming from NoCal east bay (livermore, if anyone knows it.)

As far as bizarre/trendy places go, I mean oxygen-bar-bubble-tea-sitar-band-no-chairs and monkey waitstaff kind of places. Joints that are pitch black, avant garde that would make dufresne double-take, and beatnick chai bars would all fit the bill. I keep hearing that I may be able to find that Big Lebowski experience lingering around venice, but I cant help but take that with a grain of salt.

For stars go to the Farmers market on Ivar sunday or Main st Santa Monica sunday or buy a map to stars homes on Sunset, mostly on sunday you will see them all out mowing the lawn or gardening or perhaps just in the driveway talking to other stars. For food if you are from Livermore I wouold reccomend Olive Garden or for a step up how about Pinks.

I understand there is a place on Sunset open only weekends that makes you eat in total darkness to heighten senses ( or hide ugly waiters?) It don't get much weirder than that.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I understand there is a place on Sunset open only weekends that makes you eat in total darkness to heighten senses ( or hide ugly waiters?) It don't get much weirder than that.

Perhaps you're referring to the thread "Opaque - Dining in the Dark". The proceeds benefit the Braille Institute of America.

Also, you can check out the LA Times Food Section Digest. Besides the excellent food articles (especially those written by Russ Parsons), there are restaurant reviews and restaurants in the Critic's Notebook. The end of June was the annual restaurant list. There'll be several restaurants opening up towards the end of the year.

One very highly anticipated seafood restaurant that opened recently is Providence with chef Michael Cimarusti, formerly of Water Grill. It's located on Melrose Ave., west of Cahuenga, at the former Patina location. LA Times critic S. Irene Virbila wrote about it in her Critic's Notebook: she was raving about it. Mind you, this is not the full review, yet ... If you're into what's hot & what's new, you might want to consider Providence.

For the non-manufactured eclectic, you might look into some of the spots on my site:

Cheap Eats Hollyweird

I love your site!!

Purple

As far as bizarre/trendy places go, I mean oxygen-bar-bubble-tea-sitar-band-no-chairs and monkey waitstaff kind of places. Joints that are pitch black, avant garde that would make dufresne double-take, and beatnick chai bars would all fit the bill. I keep hearing that I may be able to find that Big Lebowski experience lingering around venice, but I cant help but take that with a grain of salt.

Lebowski was a tourist. I'll compile a list of the places where the man might go.

You can often spot celebs eating at the Hotel Bel Air.

Then, of course, there are the restaurants with chefs who are celebrities. Head to Campanile and Mark Peel will almost certainly be in the kitchen and wandering around. There are others.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

It sounds like you might want the Inn of the Seventh Ray:

...sometimes the Inn is not just an inn, or it may be just an inn, perhaps your passport to somewhere else in time, an inner cosmic experience, a special auric force field, and you may never be the same again ...

Inn of the Seventh Ray

128 Old Topanga Cyn Rd

Topanga, CA 90290

In Orange County, try Troquet over at the South Coast Plaza for French. There aren't any celebs in OC so the restaurants there aren't known for having much of a scene, but atleast you'll love the food and the shopping. Scott's Seafood is also a great place as well as Darya for Persian. All are within walking distance of South Coast Plaza.

If you are into ethnic, pick up the latest issue of GQ for the writer's recommendations for Korean, Mexican, Japanese and Thai. I haven't tried any of the restaurants that the writer recommends so I can't vouch for them.

If you really want to celebs the best is to hang out at the starbucks or Whole Foods on San Vicente in Brentwood. Recently saw , Al Pacino, Chris Mehloni, Sidney Pollak, And my wife see's lots of TV divas that I don't know. Also the old Chalet Gourmet on Sunset ( now a Gooches I believe). Now most TV stars are on vacation till mid August and Movies are on location so many celebs are not in town these days. Any restaurant or club will be devoid of celebs on weekends for the most part. Several do shop at the farmers markets on weekends.

Sorry if my initial response was gruff but the way you asked "Are there any restaurants there?" seemd gruff to me. You could always try to make an appointment with a casting director on Paramounts lot and walk around looking for stars , but it is quiet right now. Good luck .

For foodeveryone seems to love Providence right now and rightfuly so.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

It sounds like you might want the Inn of the Seventh Ray:

...sometimes the Inn is not just an inn, or it may be just an inn, perhaps your passport to somewhere else in time, an inner cosmic experience, a special auric force field, and you may never be the same again ...

Inn of the Seventh Ray

128 Old Topanga Cyn Rd

Topanga, CA 90290

A friend of mine had her wedding at the Inn of the New Age Ray. The food, yeah, um, the food :blink::huh:

Btw, these "LA" places are for non-natives.