• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weedy

3 weeks in Australia and NZ

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm just back from 3 weeks on tour in Australia and New Zealand

Sydney - this is the 6th time (i think) I've been to Cafe Sydney and it's still one of my favorite places anywhere. Great food, beautiful view, nice atmosphere, good service. 

a great place.

Melbourne - Rockpool continues to be a strong entry here, especially their selection of steaks from wagyu through to 60 month grass fed... but crudos and other starters were also strong, including a stellar lobster omelet!

Perth - Shorehouse restaurant (in Swanbourne) was excellent. on the water staring out at sunset over the Indian Ocean helps!, but also some really good food in a relaxed open air atmosphere.

the bad news was that Rockpool Perth was poor in every way. Uncaring service, spotty cooking, wrong orders, a complete miss; and nothing at all what I would have expected based on my many previous visits to Rockpools in Melbourne and Sydney.

Auckland  - we had a nice dinner at Harbourside Ocean Bar Grill. nice spot overlooking the harbour, seafood centric menu. The local crayfish (a clawless lobster basically, it was more than a pound and a half, not the tiny Louisiana crawfish, if that's what you're picturing) was the standout winner.

Edited by weedy (log)
1 person likes this

And you didn't come by and say hi? Sounds like a great trip. I've heard good things about Rockpool but I'm not so meat focused.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0