• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's table?

battleofthebulge

We're coming over to visit the out-laws in September and I'd like to do something a bit special. As we're used to London prices, Toronto is a *dream* for eating out, and cost isn't an issue. I was wondering, are there any good places which have a chef's table? Has someone mentioned one at George? Can't find any info on their web site.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah

There's one at the Windsor Arms and one at the King Edward. You might want to try Perigee - not a chef's table per se but a seat ring side overlooking the kitchen.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

We're coming over to visit the out-laws in September and I'd like to do something a bit special. As we're used to London prices, Toronto is a *dream* for eating out, and cost isn't an issue. I was wondering, are there any good places which have a chef's table? Has someone mentioned one at George? Can't find any info on their web site.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks

Sarah

Yes, there is a chef's table overlookingthe kitchen at George.

I wrote a review on this forum a month ago. just scroll further to the next page.....

I've heard mixed things about Perigee, and I can assure you that you'll be pleased with the value of George.

Cheers.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks

Sarah

Yes, there is a chef's table overlookingthe kitchen at George.

I wrote a review on this forum a month ago. just scroll further to the next page.....

I've heard mixed things about Perigee, and I can assure you that you'll be pleased with the value of George.

Cheers.

High marks to Perigee, Susur, Canoe, Scaramouche, and Splendido - whatever the price point, you will get more than your money's worth. I hesitate to add Avalon (it's been a couple of years since my last meal) and The Fifth (I have not been since Marc Thuet's departure)

Splendido is right at the top of my list, thanks to all the helpful reviews on here. I'm pretty certain the out-laws have already been to Canoe and Susur.

Was also thinking of Amuse Bouche - waiting for a review from an egulleteer :rolleyes:

Have also been checking out the vineyard restaurant reviews, and salivating over the menus on the websites!!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sarah

Sarah

When you say Chef's table - are you looking more for an actual seat or a special tasting menu?

Preferably both, whatever is most likely to impress a very fussy step-mother :biggrin:

Well,....fussy:knowledgeable or fussy:persnickety

Both? :huh:

Sorry us Brits don't really make the 'knowledgeable' distinction so much.

Any ideas for a knowledgeable persnickety step-mother??

Thanks!

Sarah

Well......if she's knowledgeable, she's eaten at a few places (like Susur & Canoe) and must have some clear likes and or dislikes. If she's persnickety, she'll express the type of restaurant she prefers, and bash whatever meal she gets and clearly states that we should have gone to "X" instead of "Y"

this taken from the fussy mother-in-law handbook. :wink:

How wise you are, Mr Gordon, how wise indeed :laugh:

I think my list at the moment is Splendido, Perigee, George and The Vineyard.

We're also going to visit friends in Tiny - methinks the dining options may be more limited there, so we'll just bring booze.

Best

Sarah

Sarah