• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit as sorbet containers ... pretty but tasty?

Gifted Gourmet

On a recent trip to California, I had a peach sorbet served in a hollowed-out peach. While it was quite attractive, I could not figure out how to prepare the fruit shell which served as a container ... the frozen peach shell was not particularly tasty either but at least the sorbet made up for that.

What other containers made out of hollowed-out fruits do you use to serve frozen desserts?

What attractive combinations might you have tried?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Funny...when I think of these, I immediately think of Nasto's, which is based in Newark's (NJ) Ironbound section. I am particularly fond of the pear, although many restaurants don't carry it. I usually stop in and pick up a bunch of them to keep in my freezer. :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

For a while we would make lemon cups for lemon sorbet at weddings. It wasn't out of the norm to make 350 at a time. Obviously citruc fruits are easy to hollow out and make good cups... not very original though.

Gosh, the first and last time I did that was in the summer of '83! I remember because I was in my last term - of pregnancy that is - and was "scaring" everyone around me with my seemingly boundless energy when it came to cooking, baking, sewing... I think they call it "nesting" :biggrin:

Anyhow, at the time I had made lime and lemon sorbets served in hollowed out lime and lemon shells. Not sure why I never did it again but thanks for bringing the subject up GG :smile:

Fruit shells do make very nice containers and I'm sure this will spark some more great ideas that have been tried or are worth exploring.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

thanks for bringing the subject up GG  :smile:

Fruit shells do make very nice containers and I'm sure this will spark some more great ideas that have been tried or are worth exploring.

They are so perfect during this summer where the heat is now hitting in the 90's every day .. beautiful sorbets make one feel as if life will go on until the chill sets in the fall ... tonight, I made blueberry-peach sorbet and the color is amazing! Needed to be set in a lemon or orange shell but not enough time to buy the fruits ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 months later...

GG, that sorbet looks amazing!! A restaurant where I trailed for a potential job served their sorbet in a melon bowl. Very thinly sliced melon (canteloupe and honeydew) was lined in a small bowl, frozen and then unmolded prior to serving. Time consuming, but pretty.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Hrmm...

I wonder if you could do a banana sorbet by cutting a reasonably firm banana in 1/2 and then scooping out the flesh. Use the flesh in something else and make a sorbet with a relatively ripe banana and pipe it in.

Could you do a riff on chocolate dipped strawberries by making some chocolate shells and then piping in strawberry sorbet and garnishing with very tiny mint leaves?

I've been trying to turn kiwifruits into stable containers for serving and I can never manage. I always tend to tear the skin. :(

What about serving a tomato sorbet where the pit was in an avacado?

PS: I am a guy.

What about serving a tomato sorbet where the pit was in an avacado?

Wow. Brilliant. Has no one done this already? I can really picture it!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

This article from The Vancouver Courier talks about Island Way Sorbet, a newcomer to Vancouver that's based in Florida. Their assortment of fruit-shelled sorbets includes apple, lemon, pineapple, coconut and orange. I've yet to try them, but they look delicious!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg