• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I found both of your recommended ones on the website of an Asian store.  I could not see the entire ingredient list.  Is it enough that a bottle says Chinkiang or Zhenjiang or should I also make sure that the ingredient list is the same as your list?

Zhenjiang or (Chinkiang)* is enough. It has to be the same as my ingredient list to be legally called Zhenjiang.

The Shanxi* version may include different grains other than rice, including wheat, sorgum etc. It is preferred for dips.

Both these vinegars come at various ages, usually 3 or 6 years. Of course, the older the better.

*Zhenjiang (镇江 or 鎮江 - zhèn jiāng) is the city in eastern China where the vinegar is produced. 'Chinkiang' is the old transliteration, now really only used in America.

* Shanxi (山西 - shān xī) is the province in northern China which produces this vinegar.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I found both of your recommended ones on the website of an Asian store.  I could not see the entire ingredient list.  Is it enough that a bottle says Chinkiang or Zhenjiang or should I also make sure that the ingredient list is the same as your list?

Zhenjiang or (Chinkiang)* is enough. It has to be the same as my ingredient list to be legally called Zhenjiang.

The Shanxi* version may include different grains other than rice, including wheat, sorgum etc. It is preferred for dips.

*Zhenjiang (镇江 or 鎮江 - zhèn jiāng) is the city in eastern China where the vinegar is produced. 'Chinkiang' is the old transliteration, now really only used in America.

* Shanxi (山西 - shān xī) is the province in northern China which produces this vinegar.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

THe Shanxi cmay include different grains other than rice, including wheat, sorgum etc.

*Zhewnjiang is the city in eastern China where the vinegar is produced. 'Chinkiang' is the old transliteration, now really only used in America.