• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

House Building in Japan and Foods

Hiroyuki

As much as I wanted to reciprocate by inviting Ms. I and Miss S to my house for dinner, I ended up serving them coffee, rare (i.e., unbaked) cheese cake (my favorite type), and apple pies at their office because they were too busy to accept my invitation.

The coffee was no ordinary coffee, by the way. I made it from the coarsely ground coffee beans that I had bought from Flavor coffee, with the Matsuya paper drip method.

And, I made the apple pies with my toaster oven!

Both Ms. I and Miss S were impressed with my generosity. :biggrin:

gallery_16375_5_35127.jpg

Boy... getting hit in the head by a piece of mochi thrown from the roof of a house is considered good luck? :wink:

Do you need to sign a waiver before taking part in this celebration?

I've seen photo's of my cousin's house being "reformed" and he was throwing candy from the roof top, I had no idea that home construction was such an event in Japan! Great thread!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I've seen photo's of my cousin's house being "reformed" and he was throwing candy from the roof top, I had no idea that home construction was such an event in Japan!  Great thread!

Yep, house making is often called man's lifelong task in Japan.

• 10 months later...

It's customary for relatives and friends to give a new home owner a gift called 'shinchiku iwai' (new-construction gift) and for the new home owner to give a party at his house and invite those people in return for the gift, usually within one or two months after the completion of the house, but what with one thing and another, we were unable to give such a party until yesterday :sad: -almost nine month after we moved in on October 17.

We invited eight people for dinner.

We ordered several sashimi, hors d'oeuvre, and edamame dishes, as well as beer and sake, bought some pickles and others, and made several dishes including mushroom takikomi gohan, clear soup, and ratatouille.

Dinner under preparation:

gallery_16375_5_130292.jpg

By the way, this is the only Japanese style room we have in our house.

Thus ends the story of our house construction. Who's next? :biggrin: