• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Removed duplicate photo

Tucson is a nice place to spend time. In my case, that almost always means spending money too - probably too much, but I love the food scene here. Add to that the fact that we're camped in a pleasant area - much more lush and bird-populated than our previous stops - and it makes us happy for a week. (We'd stay longer, maybe, but the campground we're in has a 1-week limit and we haven't found anything else acceptable so far.)

20190329_121418.jpg

We've had a couple of shopping expeditions. One involved a stop at the Babylon Market, where we could restock certain dwindling or empty supplies: barberries, Egyptian feta cheese, cumin. We had already stopped at a Fry's grocery store; otherwise I might have purchased olive oil and balsamic vinegar here. The prices were lower at Babylon Market.

20190327_192602.jpg

The business continues to thrive, but on our particular visit they were tearing around in overwork. There was a "help wanted" sign, written in at least 3 languages. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of it. If you know someone who lives around here and might be looking for work in a Middle-Eastern food market, send them to Babylon.

These caught my eye, although I didn't buy them. I thought of @heidih when I saw the dried mallow leaves. I thought of @Shelby when I saw the quail, and wondered what she'd think of the sizes. They're advertised as Jumbo quail. There were 1/2 - 2/3 the size of my fist! I remember quail as being bigger than that, but maybe I'm misremembering.

20190327_192700.jpg

This also caught our eye, though we didn't buy it. This party-sized flatbread took up most of the top of their freezer case. Look carefully above the words "flat bread" and you'll see our pickup keys and fob for scale.

20190327_192220.jpg

While I waited in the checkout line - one of the owners answered 3 phone calls and dealt with a butcher-counter problem - these also caught my eye. Before I knew it, they'd fallen into my basket.

20190328_153038.jpg

My darling preferred the original flavor and thought the sweet & sour was too hot; I preferred the sweet and sour (and did not find it hot). I wouldn't get them again, though. Like every other variety of kettle-cooked chips I've tried, these were tough. I think kettle chips just aren't my thing.

Smithy

Smithy

Tucson is a nice place to spend time. In my case, that almost always means spending money too - probably too much, but I love the food scene here. Add to that the fact that we're camped in a pleasant area - much more lush and bird-populated than our previous stops - and it makes us happy for a week. (We'd stay longer, maybe, but the campground we're in has a 1-week limit and we haven't found anything else acceptable so far.)

20190329_121418.jpg

We've had a couple of shopping expeditions. One involved a stop at the Babylon Market, where we could restock certain dwindling or empty supplies: barberries, Egyptian feta cheese, cumin. We had already stopped at a Fry's grocery store; otherwise I might have purchased olive oil and balsamic vinegar here. The prices were lower at Babylon Market.

20190327_192602.jpg

The business continues to thrive, but on our particular visit they were tearing around in overwork. There was a "help wanted" sign, written in at least 3 languages. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo of it. If you know someone who lives around here and might be looking for work in a Middle-Eastern food market, send them to Babylon.

These caught my eye, although I didn't buy them. I thought of @heidih when I saw the dried mallow leaves. I thought of @Shelby when I saw the quail, and wondered what she'd think of the sizes. They're advertised as Jumbo quail. There were 1/2 - 2/3 the size of my fist! I remember quail as being bigger than that, but maybe I'm misremembering.

20190327_192700.jpg

This also caught our eye, though we didn't buy it. This party-sized flatbread took up most of the top of their freezer case. Look carefully above the words "flat bread" and you'll see our pickup keys and fob for scale.

20190327_192220.jpg

While I waited in the checkout line - one of the owners answered 3 phone calls and dealt with a butcher-counter problem - these also caught my eye. Before I knew it, they'd fallen into my basket.

20190328_153038.jpg

My darling preferred the original flavor and thought the sweet & sour was too hot; I preferred the sweet and sour (and did not find it hot). I wouldn't get them again, though. Like every other variety of kettle-cooked chips I've tried, these were tough. I think kettle chips just aren't my thing.

20190328_153038.jpg