• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If you could have one meal in Philly...

Kobi

As a displaced Philadelphian (for now, atleast), I often find myself yearning for the foods I miss most.

If I had only one meal to have in Philadelphia, it would have to be a cheesesteak at Steve's, whiz with onions, topped off by a soft pretzel from one of the factories (those in New York don't even compare).

A close second, and much more gourmet selection, would be the wasabi crusted filet mignon from Pod, followed by a trip to Basset's.

--- Kobi

As a displaced Philadelphian (for now, atleast), I often find myself yearning for the foods I miss most. 

If I had only one meal to have in Philadelphia, it would have to be a cheesesteak at Steve's, whiz with onions, topped off by a soft pretzel from one of the factories (those in New York don't even compare).

A close second, and much more gourmet selection, would be the wasabi crusted filet mignon from Pod, followed by a trip to Basset's.

--- Kobi

For low budget, DiNic's or Jon's roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe - no peppers. High-end, Susanna Foo's tea-smoked squab. Doesn't work nearly as well with any of the other fowl she now uses for this dish, but the squab was amazing! Of course, it may not have hurt that that dinner was my first exposure to really good Burgundy.

definitely the sammy's (cheesesteak with onions and wiz, roast pork with the prov and rabe) and the pretzels but lets not forget dessert: a great lemon water ice (my Sicilian grandfather made the best), a tastykake of some sort, all washed down with a Frank's Black Cherry Whisniak!!!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Of course I love the wonderful, everyday Philly stuff.

But the question is "if you could have one meal in Philly..."

To me, it's a no-brainer...

Studiokitchen

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Of course I love the wonderful, everyday Philly stuff.

But the question is "if you could have one meal in Philly..."

To me, it's a no-brainer...

Studiokitchen

Why, you cheating nogoodnik! That's not a meal, that's a *chef*, essentially. At least you need to pare it down to some of Shola's specific offerings.

And I still think that squab ranks with anything I've ever eaten.

Why, you cheating nogoodnik! That's not a meal, that's a *chef*, essentially. At least you need to pare it down to some of Shola's specific offerings.

Hmm... gut reaction says anything involving savory custard or ravioli would be a good bet. But the corn soup with oyster beignets rules the school. Whatever school you're talking about.