• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calvados (Merged topics)

JGreen7292

Looking for the fantasy country hotel/restaurant in Calvados (or nearby areas for Normandy) - casual and not stuffy but real quality regional food

Oh boy, it's here. A few short klicks from Calvados, don't be put off by the Marquis stuff, they're neat folks, lots of space, animals, warmth. Renovated two years ago, beautiful rooms, one might say one's fantasy. The night we stayed there, we dined with Aimee Jacquet, the French team's soccer coach in the World Cup 1998.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John's recommendation is probably unbeatable and I've put it down for a visit in the near future.

In return I can recommend the Moulin du Vey www.moulinduvey.com.

It's a lovely spot in the heart of the Normandy countryside between Caen and Falaise. Although it's been a few years since the last visit, the food stays in my mind as having made good use of local products.

Looking for the fantasy country hotel/restaurant in Calvados (or nearby areas for Normandy) - casual and not stuffy but real quality regional food

In return I can recommend the Moulin du Vey www.moulinduvey.com.

It's a lovely spot in the heart of the Normandy countryside between Caen and Falaise. Although it's been a few years since the last visit, the food stays in my mind as having made good use of local products.

This is a wonderful idea and in some ways better than mine (although I'd urge you to stay in both) because it meets the "fantasy" requirement for "sightseeing" too - here you can tour the Suisse Normande, for some reason, relatively un-tourist-saturated versus Caen, Bayeux, tapistry, WWII beaches, Battle Museum(s), le Mont St-Michel, etc.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 months later...

I am going to a little town in Calvados this weekend called Lingevres for a quick getaway to a working farm. When doing some quick research on the area I found that we are near Isigny Sur-Mere and apparently you can visit a nearby dairy, where they make cheese, crème fraiche, and butter. Does anyone know of any others in the area?

Isigny-ste-mere

We will have breakfast and dinner on the farm, so I don’t think we will need restaurant recommendations, but would love to hear any food related suggestions for things in the area, specialites, etc. It’s also close to Bayeux and Caen.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

We're already planning a trip to the Route de Calvados between Christmas and New Year's.

(I know, I know, most everything is closed that week, but that's the only time for our vacation)

We emailed the Calvados tourist board and they sent us a bunch of brochures.

However, we would be interested not only in the responses you get from other egulleters; but please let us know everything when you come back!!

Philly Francophiles

Cidre and livarot are a good combination, if you haven't already discovered them together on our own. Have fun. Sounds great.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.