• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California rolls

I've recently read in numerous sources accounts of Tojo creating the California Roll here in Vancouver. Can anyone verify if this is true, or merely an urban legend that has gained traction. And if so, California rolls would be the only truly global foodstuff originating in our city, our philly cheese steak, or montreal smoked meat if you will.

And if so, why does Tojo not get the props he deserves? We all know the story behind the creation of Carpacchio, napolean cakes, the Bellini of Venice, why not California Rolls.

I have read this too, and have wondered. I understand that the avocado makes it somehow "Californian", but the name being what it is, I don't think it will ever really be associated with Vancouver.

On the other hand, the BC roll incorporating salmon has got to be a local creation. But whose? Can we pin this one on Tojo?

A quote from Tojo's website

"Vancouver in the early 1970s had only four Japanese restaurants, and Tojo's first original dishes were aimed at helping locals learn how to appreciate the world of Japanese cuisine. His Tojo tuna (maguro ai) and Tojo-maki (inside-out version of what would become known as "California roll") created a bridge. His dishes enabled locals unfamiliar with sushi and sashimi to enter a new world. Increasingly, fresh local ingredients unknown or very rare in Japan found pride of place in his new recipes: Gindara (broiled black cod, now known as sablefish), baked local oysters, local albacore tuna, asparagus, and, famously, salmon. Tojo's barbecued salmon-skin roll, first created in 1974, can today be found in virtually every Japanese restaurant on the West Coast, under the name of "BC roll". He was also the first to introduce smoked salmon into Japanese cuisine."

Cheers,

Anne

Anyone ever seen a BC roll outside of BC? I don't think I've ever eaten sushi outside of Vancouver.

A friend tried to convince me there was a great sushi restaurant in Calgary once. we went for pizza. :biggrin:

Besides quoting the web site, I heard from Tojo himself that he invented the California roll basically becaus it was inside out and cooked. People at the time didn't want to "see" the seaweed or like the fact that this sushi thing was "raw" fish.

I'm pulling this from Revscene:

"The original california roll was created in the 70's at a restuarant in the Little Tokyo area of LA, called Tokyo Kaikan."

"It was originally made with imitation crab (kani kama), flying fish eggs (tobiko), wedges of avocado and wisps of shredded cucumbers. Mr. Mashita rolled these ingredients, inside a crispy sheet of rice lined toasted seaweed (nori) and cut it into six pieces, with the dark green seaweed on the outside, nakamaki style."

"Viktor V", who posted this, left this site as a reference:

http://www.thesushibar.com/sushi_chipcolumn.shtml

Anyone ever seen a BC roll outside of BC?

I remember there being a passing reference to "salmon skin roll" on an episode of Friends. Any care to back me up on this? I only remember because this was the first I'd heard mention of BC roll outside of our province. I think... :wink:

I don't think I've ever eaten sushi outside of Vancouver.

Once in Toronto I had a craving for sushi & foolishly thought that the closest sushi place nearby would have ok sushi. WORST SUSHI EVER :angry: They used Chinese long-grained rice and didn't add any sushi vinegar or sugar to the rice. I couldn't even finish it, and I hate wasting food... :sad: I know there are much better places in Toronto though.

Anyone ever seen a BC roll outside of BC?

I remember there being a passing reference to "salmon skin roll" on an episode of Friends. Any care to back me up on this? I only remember because this was the first I'd heard mention of BC roll outside of our province. I think... :wink:

I don't think I've ever eaten sushi outside of Vancouver.

Nobu in New York calls it a salmon skin roll, no reference to a BC roll whatsoever. I don't recall ever hearing it being called a BC roll outside of BC.

There is a place in Kingston, Discover Japan I think, that serves a BC roll...it's OK. They have quite a few rolls named after places, but I never really order them since I can never remember what's in them, and sometimes I don't feel like asking. There is a Kingston Roll, and I'm afraid to even guess what in that.

I've made some Salmon skin rolls myself and kind of like the crunchiness sometimes. Not my favourite, so I usually don't order it when out. Why spend money on skin, when you can spend money on the actual meat of the fish.