• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Sets

evilhomer

Just what precisely is a "bar set"

There seem to be simple shakers and then straining devices, various spoons and jiggers and then the tools start looking archaic. I'm sure there as many answers as people mixing drinks but what's at the core of it? what are interesting additions? what do you see as useless additions? what determines the quality of these? they have been prominent design objects since at least the 1920's (perhaps someone will pull the rug out from under me here with a louis 14 bar set) so there's an obvious functionality and aesthetic element, are some materials better than others, what sets superior bar sets apart from run of the mill ones. I have many more questions but I think this sets the tone of my inquiry, I look forward to your feedback and the inevitable pics of your bar sets too.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

As a matter of fact, I just created a bar set for Nurse Cocktail's niece's wedding gift (got that?)

I put it all together from scratch and composed a instruction/explanation document for it which I am providing a link to right here: Doc's cocktail set (redacting only their names.)

Most of it is self explanatory, but the juicer is one of those tall steel ratcheted machines with an pull arm like on a one-armed bandit.

The shaker is lovely and, with rubber gaskets all around, particularly simple to use.

degrenneshaker.jpg

This to me, was a sane cocktail kit. As I say in the text, you still need glasses, plates, linens (and booze) but this is otherwise all I need when I make drinks.

--Doc.

Very nice, Doc. My main difference is that I don't use jiggers. I find it much more convenient for home use to use the Oxo 2 ounce angled measuring cups. That way I can make the whole drink using one liquid measuring device. I can see the utility of a jigger for professional volume mixing, but personally not for home use.

--

Sam, Nursie might agree with you. As for me, I hate peering at the glass (or worse, metal) all-in-one pourer. When I have a number of guests over, I am so much faster with my 3 (6) jiggers sizes and I can see the measurement I need immediately by the (comparitive) size of the jigger. I suffer every time I have to use an an-in-one. That said, Nursie makes me great Martinis with her chosen all-in-one glass measurer: (That's 1/2 a rabbit of dry vermouth and a full jackass of gin!)

--Doc.

thanks for sharing that doc - what a warm wedding gift (and one that will certainly keep on giving). I got a little confused on the jigger details, we're talking about 3 jiggers, each of a different size?

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Exactly. A jigger is a metal measuring device shaped like two cones stuck together at the pointy end. Usually the big side is twice the size of the small side. Thus you get a 2 ounce/1 ounce jigger, a 1.5 ounce/0.75 ounce jigger and a 1 ounce/0.5 ounce jigger. Presumably, if you want to do a quarter ounce, you fill the 0.5 ounce jigger half way or you use 1.5 teaspoons.

Jiggers are very useful when you are mixing drinks in a situation where speed is a major consideration (e.g., a busy cocktail bar). When you want two ounces, for example, you just pick up the 2/1 ounce jigger, fill the big side all the way to the top and dump it into the mixing glass. "Free pouring," in which the bartender measures the liquid by sight or by counting while pouring, is an even faster method of measurement, but in my opinion not accurate enough for fruly exacting formulae (I note that the bars I visit that prepare drinks with any real complexity of formula do not free pour and use jiggers as a matter of course).

Personally, at home I am very rarely in a situation where speed is a major consideration, and I find that I like the Oxo cups better. That way I can use one liquid measure for the whole drink.

--

I'll pipe in with my support of the oxo mini-angled measure as well. It's as easy to use as having multiple jiggers, one of each necessary size, but... you don't have to have multiple jiggers.

I'm with Doc on this one--the jiggers are cheap, easy to use and you don't have to pay exact attention to how much you're pouring--just fill it up and in it goes. The three sizes I use are 1/2 oz-1 oz, 3/4 oz-1 1/2 oz and 1 oz-2 oz. Between these it's quite easy to come up with just about any quantity you need. Plus it's a good way to bone up on your fractions.

You can get the jiggers at www.servu-online.com.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895