• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What foods do you "protect"?

Genny

This topic brings up lots of memories.

Growing up, my dad, brother, and I were known for our "dessert wars", and my dad was a master tactician. My mom made cookies from scratch, and we all had our favorites. Only Dad, however, liked oatmeal, so he always had his stash untouched. He would eat out of everyone else's cookies and when they were gone, had the oatmeal all to himself.

We also would bicker over Drumsticks, the frozen ice cream cones. There were enough in each pack for us to each have a certain amount, but we were each guilty of sneaking down and eating extra out of our allotment. And if Mom decided to have one, fights would break out over who's allotment it came out of. My brother had some friends over during one of these arguments and they were in awe and we hear about it to this day!

I was home one time visiting from college and looking around for something to eat. Dad comes running into the kitchen and asks me what I'm doing. He starts up some transparent idle chat but it's obvious he's hiding something or nervous about something. Turns out Mom had made some cookies for my arrival that day, but Dad had hidden them and didn't want me to find them!

Man, we sound terrible . . .

Anyways, these days, my wife gets a little punchy if she thinks I'm giving away too much food after a dinner party.

And heaven help her if we get ahold of mom's homemade cookies to bring back . . .

"I apologized and told him that I would no longer mock his naughty late-night sugar fix and that he could proudly display his Pop Tarts in the cupboard with the cereal."

Man, egullet is great. :rolleyes:

I would buy chips that I knew no one else would eat, vinegar and salt,

jalapeño, etc.

I have researched our snacking likes and dis-likes and purchase ice cream that only I like. I am willing to purchase any other flavors, but I never get any requests.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson