• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Genoise Troubleshooting

tekna

Yesterday had my first genoise sucess. Flat top, no stickage, no sinking. I used Flo Braker's Classic genoise recipe (who said to butter, then flour), and, overthinking as i usually do, decided to just butter the pan. Great results (Thankthelord!!)

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Originally, I had planned to make the chocolate raspberry torte from gourmet, but i'm thinking that my kids would probably OD on chocolate, so i've opted for the vanilla genoise. My question is on the soaking syrup. I can't use a liqueur (it's a school setting)but want more than just simple syrup. I have some blackberry syrup (Polish soda kind), but fear that that may make the yellow layers kinda murkey/ugly looking. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again! This site is a godsend.

Yesterday had my first genoise sucess. Flat top, no stickage, no sinking. I used Flo Braker's Classic genoise recipe (who said to butter, then flour), and, overthinking as i usually do, decided to just butter the pan.  Great results (Thankthelord!!)

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.  Originally, I had planned to make the chocolate raspberry torte from gourmet, but i'm thinking that my kids would probably OD on chocolate, so i've opted for the vanilla genoise.  My question is on the soaking syrup.  I can't use a liqueur (it's a school setting)but want more than just simple syrup. I have some blackberry syrup (Polish soda kind), but fear that that may make the yellow layers kinda murkey/ugly looking.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again!  This site is a godsend.

Congratulations on a successful genoise! I am still working on it. How about making a simple syrup with orange juice?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 5 years later...

So i'm bringing this topic back up because I recently made a small batch for a 6" ring and i had a sunken center. Probably was a folding issue.

Anyway, what im wondering is why can't we just sift the flour into the stand mixer and continue beating it on high speed until its all incorporated (adding bit by bit, just like folding). Folding after all, seems to be the biggest issue from what I can tell, so if we just put in some of the flour, mix, more flour, mix, rest of the flour, mix like hell, wouldn't you just be maintaining if not, adding more air into the batter?

So i'm bringing this topic back up because I recently made a small batch for a 6" ring and i had a sunken center. Probably was a folding issue.

Anyway, what im wondering is why can't we just sift the flour into the stand mixer and continue beating it on high speed until its all incorporated (adding bit by bit, just like folding). Folding after all, seems to be the biggest issue from what I can tell, so if we just put in some of the flour, mix, more flour, mix, rest of the flour, mix like hell, wouldn't you just be maintaining if not, adding more air into the batter?

I'm going to venture the guess that adding flour, then mixing on high speed would effectively "drag" all those flour particles through the foam, thereby popping the tiny bubbles. Like dragging a dry tennis ball through the foam in a bubble bath - would you expect that action to create or to destroy bubbles? This is just a theory.

As far as folding goes, what tool do you use to fold the flour in? In most the recipes I've seen, it is said that folding should be done with a spatula. I prefer to use a balloon whisk to incorporate the flour, and have gotten great results this way.

I want to refer you to this Taiwanese video that does put to bed some of the usual advice on a gentle folding of the flour in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DYUwSDCHNPg

My personal method is to use (like DianaM) a whisk to fold in the flour. I whisk the flour rather vigorously at the top and then do a gentle fold of the top batter all the way down. This repeated a couple of times until the flour is used up.

Yeah that would make sense. I was just using a spatula and folding it pretty gently from bottom up - if that makes any sense. Ill try it again in the near future with the balloon whisk and see how that works. I noticed though, that with the spatula that i actually had some unfolded flour into the mixture, perhaps the reason of why i had a sunken center with flour not being incorporated thoroughly.