• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lansing Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

terrarich

Has anyone else noticed the proliferation of new Chinese restaurants, particularlly the all-you-can-eat buffets? I can count at least four in the last year. By the way, the dim sum at the Golden Wok on Grand River is pretty good.

Somewhat relatedly, there have been a handful of new Japanese joints opening in the area as well.

I am not complaining, but what is going on here?

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

I don't think a non-buffet Chinese restaurant has opened in West Michigan for many years. I've seen several existing places add a buffet, though. Quick, cheap and filling, that's the ticket. I'm not a Chinese food expert by any stretch of the imagination, but a buffet seems the antithesis of what most good Chinese food is supposed to be.

When I worked in Lansing there were no Japanese restaurants at all. What are the new ones like?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It sure seems to be the case in the greater Lansing/East Lansing area. It's scary to think one of the best restaurant management schools in the country is in the center of it all, but you have to drive an hour to eat something without Minor's base in it. IMO. :hmmm:

Patrick Sheerin

It sure seems to be the case in the greater Lansing/East Lansing area.  It's scary to think one of the best restaurant management schools in the country is in the center of it all, but you have to drive an hour to eat something without Minor's base in it. IMO. :hmmm:

Well, maybe 45 minutes. :cool:

Although, what do you think of Villegas, in Okemos?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well, maybe 45 minutes.

That's true, the speed limit is 70 mph.

IMHO, being a former employee, I liked the concept of Villegas a lot, and the food for the most part pretty good, but it seems to lack cohesion in terms of menu idea and the concept. The dining room is beautiful, and I haven't been there in 8 years so maybe things have gotten better, food wise, but I found better cooking the further east and west of Lansing I went. Love Cafe Cortina Farmington Hills (I think), there was a little place, Emily in Northville, Too Chez, Tribute. My travels have not taken me through the heart of Michigan in a while, so it is possible that things have gotten better.

Patrick Sheerin

Well, maybe 45 minutes.

That's true, the speed limit is 70 mph.

IMHO, being a former employee, I liked the concept of Villegas a lot, and the food for the most part pretty good, but it seems to lack cohesion in terms of menu idea and the concept. The dining room is beautiful, and I haven't been there in 8 years so maybe things have gotten better, food wise, but I found better cooking the further east and west of Lansing I went. Love Cafe Cortina Farmington Hills (I think), there was a little place, Emily in Northville, Too Chez, Tribute. My travels have not taken me through the heart of Michigan in a while, so it is possible that things have gotten better.

I haven't lived in the Detroit area for a while, either. I think Cafe Cortina is still around. I continue to hear very good things about Emily's. I think that Too Chez is gone. Tribute, of course, is on another level altogether. There's also Five Lakes Grill in Milford, which is closer to Lansing than any of the above.

There are some excellent Chinese restaurants in the Detroit area, and especially in Windsor.

If I remember correctly, terrarich currently is an apprentice at Villegas.

• 1 year later...

Good day, egulleters!

I will be spending a long weekend in the Lansing/Okemos area later next month, working a convention, and I'm looking for some good dining recommendations. Usually when I've worked this convention before I've been stuck with the few choices in walking distance around my hotel--which consist of little more than a Dennys, Ponderosa, KFC and a mediocre Chinese buffet :hmmm: . But this year I'll have a car and a companion who, in exchange for putting up with me working all day, I'd like to be able to entertain with at least a couple decent evening meals.

So far, Restaurant Villegas is on the list...can anyone recommend anything else? We're pretty adventurous and willing to try almost anything that's good, be it a steakhouse or good ethnic place.

Thanks in advance for any help!

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Me, I'd go to Villegas twice, but some reports have said good things about Dusty's Wine Bar. We ate there once, several years ago. The food was good but doesn't stand out in my mind. The wine selection was excellent. They have special dinners, wine tastings, etc.

For good ethnic, you might try El Azteco - there is one location in Lansing and another in East Lansing.  You don't go there for the atmosphere but the food is good.

Are they a national chain, or something local? I seem to recall a lot of El Azteco's out there...not that I'm always against chains, mind you, but I just generally try to patronize local joints when traveling over something that I can find elsewhere...

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Me, I'd go to Villegas twice, but some reports have said good things about Dusty's Wine Bar. We ate there once, several years ago. The food was good but doesn't stand out in my mind. The wine selection was excellent. They have special dinners, wine tastings, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation--my companion and I are definintely big fans of good wine, so this will have to be on the list! (And if we enjoy our first visit to Villages, we'll probably go back again.)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Traveler's Club International Restaurant and Tuba Museum in Okemos is fun.

OMG, I forgot about them! Yes, fun.

Here's a little guide to Lansing-area places. Note the lukewarm review of Dusty's. It also tells you that El Azteco is local, not a chain. It also mentions Evergreen Grill, normally a recommendation of mine, but which has since closed.

I've got some real insight into the scene in the area, having cooked in most of the better kitchens. First and foremost is Villegas in Okemos, having worked there for a couple of years I can say they are the best. Secondly, in the middle of May, Majority is scheduled to open just south of the capital. I cowrote the opening menu and am proud of it, but I left for a much greener pasture before the opening. A sample menu is now available at: http://www.redcedargrill.com/majority/menu.pdf

The Kellogg Center State Room is very consistent and is relatively interesting. I never worked at Dusty's, but heard some frightening stories from ex-cooks. I heard that they got their old chef back recently, so maybe they are ok again.

I don't mean to start any arguments, but El Azteco blows and the Tuba Museum, although quaint, is much to slow with getting your plates to the table.

My two bits,

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

• 4 weeks later...

I feel somewhat duty-bound to report that Majority is now open in downtown Lansing, MI. It is hard to tell because they are still doing road construction out front. Here is a link to the last menu I saw for the place: http://www.redcedargrill.com/majority/menu.pdf

Support finer dining in the mid-Michigan area and check this place out. These people are making a stab at sprucing up downtown Lansing and I think they are going to need the help.

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

Thanks for the tip--what's their address?

I'm going to Lansing this weekend for a business trip so would love to add these guys to my itinerary.

I feel somewhat duty-bound to report that Majority is now open in downtown Lansing, MI.  It is hard to tell because they are still doing road construction out front.  Here is  a link to the last menu I saw for the place: http://www.redcedargrill.com/majority/menu.pdf

Support finer dining in the mid-Michigan area and check this place out.  These people are making a stab at sprucing up downtown Lansing and I think they are going to need the help.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

It is indeed on Allegan just west of Townsend, located on the ground floor of the new Boji Complex/Parking garage. It is across the street from the south edge of the capitol lawn.

Do me a favor and tell them to tell Chef Glenn that Rich from egullet refered you. I have been trying to get him to be more involved with this site for the past couple of years. This might spur him to action.

Sockii, don't forget to aslo check out Villegas in Okemos: http://www.restaurantvillegas.com/daily.specials.htm

Chef Villegas loves to have egulleteers over. Ask Charlie/Devilkitty.

Peace

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up--I want to thank everyone who recommended Restaurant Villages to me for my trip!

We only had the time & opportunity to really enjoy one night out on our own, so I knew we had to try Villages. Everything was wonderful--we mostly orded from the evening's specials menu, though I started with the roasted beet "tower" salad from the main menu, which was perfect. The entree I had for the evening was (if I remember correctly) a 12-hour smoked pork shoulder with asparagus and beans, which was just the satisfying meal I needed after a long weekend working a convention! Our server was very helpful in suggesting some of his favorite dishes, and despite his warning that it was not to everyone's tastes, we had the chocolate tamales for dessert--which was absolutely perfect to MY tastes: not too sweet, not too heavy, just very chocolately :raz:

Anyway, I will totally look forward to going back next year when I'm in town for the weekend, and hopefully I'll have some time next trip to check out some of the other places recommended as well.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |