• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted peppers in Little Italy

lperry

When I was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago I was introduced to marinated roasted red peppers. (I know, sad that I went this long...) I tried Googling for a recipe and I haven't been able to reproduce them just right. I'm guessing that I'm making it much more complicated than it really is. Maybe just EVOO, vinegar, garlic, parsley, and salt?

Can someone help with a recipe and proportions?

Many thanks,

Linda

There are probably a million variations on this in South Philly, where'd you have it?

I think you're on the right track. It's not too hard to make, I'd just roast some peppers up and experiment, you can't get it too wrong! Some of the best I've had have been steeping in only EVOO and garlic.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

We had some at Villa di Roma, then bought some at Di Bruno brothers. I saw them several other places including the shop that had the fresh ravioli (Superior Pasta?).

linda, you got it--basically roast the peppers, skin them and marinate them in olive oil and vinegar with some herbs. you might want to use a few other herbs besides parsley--thyme is most common in my experience, although marjoram or oregano are also used sometimes.

I get marinated peppers at Claudio's sometimes, and my recollection is it's just oil and garlic, but I've certainly had them elsewhere with a splash of vinegar and some herbs. Maybe Lisa can give you some hints about what they do at DiBruno's.

I've made these at home a lot, and they turn out well without a lot of work, just use really good oil (I like Claudio's own unfiltered stuff), crushed garlic, go light with the vinegar if you need it at all, and really light with salt. You can go as nuts with herbs as you feel like. I've used fresh thyme and/or oregano. I really like the marjoram idea.

(And just so next time you're in town you don't get yelled-at by some produce guy with extra Philly attytude:, we have the "Italian Market" and the greater neighborhood of "South Philly" but nothing actually called "Little Italy" here.)

philadining.com

Does it work well with seasoned rice wine vinegar? Naturally with the oil and garlic...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

(And just so next time you're in town you don't get yelled-at by some produce guy with extra Philly attytude:, we have the "Italian Market" and the greater neighborhood of "South Philly" but nothing actually called "Little Italy" here.)

Oh dear, apologies for the faux pas. :blush:

I did experience that Philly attitude, although it was in a crowd situation. Di Bruno's must have served ten other customers while I lingered over things and asked questions about the different cheeses (southern certainly stands out here). I was clearly out of place in the loud hustle and bustle. I think the poor guy behind the counter took pity on me :blink: . He recommended some amazing cheese, though.

I did experience that Philly attitude, although it was in a crowd situation.  Di Bruno's must have served ten other customers while I lingered over things and asked questions about the different cheeses (southern certainly stands out here).  I was clearly out of place in the loud hustle and bustle.  I think the poor guy behind the counter took pity on me  :blink: .  He recommended some amazing cheese, though.

But as you saw, they're happy to help you out and answer questions. That's a whole lot of DiBruno's (a quality operation if there ever was one) but also not atypical of Philadelphia. Glad you had a good trip.

I did experience that Philly attitude....

It's usually pretty good-natured, and all is good as long as you understand it's just their style to be a little testy, they're not actually mad at you. I got yelled-at in Claudio's once for not taking a free sample fast enough. Hey, I know it's busy in there, but there was a 300-pound cheese hanging in my sight-line, give me a break!

A few years ago, a cousin of mine was visiting from Seattle. He stumbled over the word "Gnocchi" in a restaurant and the waitress absolutely refused to take his order until he could pronounce it correctly. I was laughing pretty hard, but he was a little freaked out. But at least he was ready for the waitress at Sang Kee who wouldn't leave until he proved that he could eat cold sesame noodles with chopsticks, after we waved-off the forks. I guess he had out-of-towner written on his face or something, service people were messing with him the whole time he was here. He eventually got to actually like it.

philadining.com

Absolutely. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I also had two tour guides, friends, both native to the area and of Italian descent. Wonderful people all around, just not as obsessed with cooking as I am so they couldn't help me with recipes. The food was just incredible and now I'm doing my best to replicate it in my own kitchen.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll try the oil/herbs/salt tonight.

-Linda