• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking with alcohol

Genny

I'm wondering if alcohol can be substituted in a recipe for water. The specific application would be rum for water in a 'box' (please don't throw anything at me!)brownie recipe. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

I don't know if I'd substitute all the water for rum - them's would be some pretty potent brownies! Usually a couple of tablespoons is all you need to give the flavor of the alcohol to the item (though with brownies, you might want a bit more because of the chocolate).

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Brownies need water?

If you're substituting rum for all of the water, I'd be a little concerned about flashback in an oven. There'd be enough alcohol in there to actually burn in an impressive little explosion. Entirely harmless in a well-designed oven, but a little off-putting if you're not quite expecting it.

Substituting 3 shots in for 3 shots worth of water should be sufficient.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

There is only 1/4 cup water called for in the recipe. I figured that would be small enough to not cause a flame but I can see the point in 1:1 replacement may be a bit boozy.

How much of the alcohol cooks out? Is this a factor in the moistness of the final product?

1/4 cup? Oh, geez, that won't matter. Use booze.

How much will cook out? Well, essentially all. You'll still have a small amount, roughly 2% of the amount of remaining water (by weight) is how much alcohol you'll have left over.

I want to say it's because of a eutectic point, but I'd have to drag out a long-lost chemistry book. Suffice it to say once you mix alcohol and water, you can only boil off 98% of the alcohol. The longer and longer you boil it, the mixter still stays 2% alcohol, you just drive off the mixture.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

So would I want to actually have more liquid since the alcohol will burn off so much? Do I figure that the rum is 40% alcohol so 40% of the liquid will burn off? If I wanted to retain the moisture content then I would figure the amount that I would loose and add back in the water.............................................. (thinking, doing math here...it sucks....scratches head, pulls off socks....)

I would really want to do about 1/4 cup rum and about a tablespoon of water. Does that sound about right?

I do it all the time. In a pinch for something quick, I take a Jiffy brownie mix and substitute equal amounts of kalua for the water asked for on the box. They are not boozey and they are fabulous. There aren't even crumbs left when I take them to work.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

So would I want to actually have more liquid since the alcohol will burn off so much?  Do I figure that the rum is 40% alcohol so 40% of the liquid will burn off?  If I wanted to retain the moisture content then I would figure the amount that I would loose and add back in the water.............................................. (thinking, doing math here...it sucks....scratches head, pulls off socks....)

I would really want to do about 1/4 cup rum and about a tablespoon of water.  Does that sound about right?

Nope, you're thinking too hard. Just use 1/4 cup rum, toss 'em in the oven and bake as usual. There will be a small amount of residual alcohol equal to 2% of the residual amount of water, give or take a decimal. But, since there is a very small amount of remaining water, there will be a very very small amount of alcohol.

If you're substituting rum for all of the water, I'd be a little concerned about flashback in an oven. There'd be enough alcohol in there to actually burn in an impressive little explosion. Entirely harmless in a well-designed oven, but a little off-putting if you're not quite expecting it.

Wouldn't that only be a concern in a gas oven, where there is open flame involved? And if so, isn't that kind of occurrence fairly remote?

Man, I'd hate to think I'd have to add "exploding brownies" to my job hazards list..... :laugh:

By the way, I bake with alcohol all the time.....usually a nice Syrah.....no, not for the brownies......for the baker!!!! :raz:

Edited by chefpeon (log)