• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen

I ate at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Battersea on Saturday. Fantastic burgers and chips (Further info and menu here.  Most burgers were around the £6 mark, The beefburgers are 100% Aberdeen Angus beef and were cooked nicely pink in the middle (I don't like rare beefburgers, it maks the bun too soggy) Good sourdough buns an an excellent variety of burgers including a few variations for the non beef lovers (Venison, Chicken, Chorizo, Mushroom etc.

The chips were thick cut, hot and crispy, and they looked like they had been cut on the premises. We ate the Chilli burger and the Blue cheese burger. We were pleased to see the Chilli burger with Chilli sauce on it instead of a pile of Chilli Con Carne, the sauce was maybe a touch mild for our taste but otherwise excellent. The blue cheese dressing was very good with pieces of aged Stiliton in it, a bit messy but thats all part of the fun. :biggrin:

They don't serve anything else here which is probably why they are so good, no pasta,hotdogs, chilli con carne/desserts etc.

Only slight fault was the cramped conditions (this isn't a place to stop and linger and there is a healthy take away trade) and the fact that you have to order at the counter (joining the takeaway crowd) before the waitresses bring it to your table, why can't they take your order at the table? :confused:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

This is a place I keep meanining to try, so thanks Matthew for the post :wink:

The best burger I've had in London is at the Hard RockCafe- knock it, as many do - they do serve a good burger cooked to order, although probably a bit basic by the above standards!

By far, the best burger I've had in my life (other than drunken nightclub van burgers when everything is great :raz:)was at the Corner Bistro in NYC.

Oh yes, GBK excellent burgers... can also recommend the chorizo, sweet potato and rocket... a cut above the brindisa chorizo roll (if poss). crispy, spicy, toothsome, sweet. what else d'ya need? can't be beat!

(interesting chorizo, sweet potato, rocket has also turned up on the providores brunch menu... antipodean fusion incest in action!)

the kiwi burger isn't bad either, although it looks a bit wierd on the menu (pineapple and egg i think, though memory failing)

also Stefano Cavellini (sp)'s trattoria/deli joint is, apparently, just up the road from GBK battersea, though have not yet managed to track it down...

cheerio

j

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

(interesting chorizo, sweet potato, rocket has also turned up on the providores brunch menu... antipodean fusion incest in action!)

also Stefano Cavellini (sp)'s trattoria/deli joint is, apparently, just up the road from GBK battersea, though have not yet managed to track it down...

Peter Gordon ws a consultant on the menu at GBK hence the link to the Providores menu.

Interestingly, I was looking int the window of Stefanos Deli (unfortunately closed ) just up the Road from GBK, when the great man himself appeared tidying the place up. I also noticed a sign along the lines of "Want a dinner party, don't want to spend all night in the kitchen, how about letting a Michelin starred chef and Sommelier into your home, ask within for details" (or words to that effect). I imagine he provides wome wine and food to reheat, if anybody knwo otherwise please let me know, he can lend me a hand next time I'm entertaining! :biggrin:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

By far, the best burger I've had in my life (other than drunken nightclub van burgers when everything is great :raz:)was at the Corner Bistro in NYC.

I wish you hadnt a done that Samantha.  It has taken me over a year to seal the Corner Bistro burgers away in the recesses of my subconscious and then here you come, popping open the lid.  A Corner Bistro Bacon Cheeseburger is a lip smacking and finger licking icon.  To top it off, it can be washed down by a McSorley's dark or an ice cold Brooklyn Lager.  No better way to spend a summer evening (or a winter one).  Too bad the fries are pretty much crap.

Thomas Secor

Of course, of course.  The reason I was e-mailing Cappers separately was to ask a few more questions because I am returning to Bath this weekend.  I will give a full report next week (under the original heading).

In the meantime I was asking Cappers if he had any experience with the Sign of the Angel, the Pear Tree Inn or the Georgian Lodge, all informal places outside of Bath which were recommended to me for a casual and moderately priced dinner of english food.

Thomas Secor

• 3 years later...

ooh - I love a good burger and there's a branch of this opening in the Komedia in Brighton.

Just looking for info on the opening I found that they pay...

Head Chef - £20-25k plus bonus

Grill Chef - £18-20k