• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four hours in Pittsburgh...where to eat?

sockii

Monday, I'm taking the train (ugh) from Philly to Cleveland...and I have an almost 5 hour layover in Pittsburgh just around dinner-time. So I figure, what better way to kill the time than to find somewhere good to eat?

Can anyone recommend anything within a reasonable (and safe) walk from the Amtrak station (which is like 11th & Liberty Ave)? I'm pretty open to anything that'll be reasonably priced and hopefully offer something good to drink to kill the pain before getting back on the train for a few more hours.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

You'll be mighty hungry by the time you get to Pittsburgh, cause you spend like 3 days riding through Johnstown, Pa. Ugh.

Imagine what Johnstown would look like without the "temporary, flood emergency" liquor tax!

To return to topic, I'd get a Primanti Brothers sandwich, because I've never had one.

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

...I'd get a Primanti Brothers sandwich, because I've never had one.

I'm not sure where the train station is in relation to Primanti's, but I'd skip it, actually. I went the last time I was in Pittsburgh (January) and it wasn't that great -- yes, they put fries and cole slaw on your sandwich, but both are utterly bland. And they use boring white bread and undistinguished deli meats. So all in all, it wasn't a very interesting sandwich.

I think there's good food to be had on the South Side -- for example, Fatheads' burgers. And they have a bunch of beers on tap to tide you over until Cleveland :smile:

Edited by Diann (log)

...I'd get a Primanti Brothers sandwich, because I've never had one.

I'm not sure where the train station is in relation to Primanti's, but I'd skip it, actually. I went the last time I was in Pittsburgh (January) and it wasn't that great -- yes, they put fries and cole slaw on your sandwich, but both are utterly bland. And they use boring white bread and undistinguished deli meats. So all in all, it wasn't a very interesting sandwich.

I think there's good food to be had on the South Side -- for example, Fatheads' burgers. And they have a bunch of beers on tap to tide you over until Cleveland :smile:

There is nothing dull about fresh cut fries, fresh cole slaw and thick slabs of good Italian bread holding those sandwiches together. Primanti Bros is a classic not be missed.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

You will be very close to the Strip District...within 6 or 7 blocks of a couple of Pittsburgh's best (in my estimation) restaurants...Lidia's and Eleven. Neither is particularly inexpensive. I'm pretty sure that the pasta sampler at Lidia's is around $15 for dinner. That's what I'd go for.

There is a Primanti's in the Strip (around 17th Street, I think). Kaya is not far from there either.

Some websites:

Eleven

Kaya

Lidia's

At that time of day, that area will be perfectly safe, though you will probably run into some interesting characters around the bus station.

i always wondered about lidia's. i have one of her cookbooks, and it doesn't have a bad recipe in it, and she's one of the few tv chefs i still watch. but searching around the web turns up a lot of really mediocre reviews.

i'm going to be in pittsburgh in mid-june; i hope i'm not disappointed.

I recommend Primanti Brothers as well - I have been there before and it is quite the experience - the sandwich is very good and worth the trip - I had a turkey with fires and slaw, but the steak and egg with fries and slaw looked real good - enjoy!

Monday, I'm taking the train (ugh) from Philly to Cleveland...and I have an almost 5 hour layover in Pittsburgh just around dinner-time. So I figure, what better way to kill the time than to find somewhere good to eat?

Can anyone recommend anything within a reasonable (and safe) walk from the Amtrak station (which is like 11th & Liberty Ave)? I'm pretty open to anything that'll be reasonably priced and hopefully offer something good to drink to kill the pain before getting back on the train for a few more hours.

I, too, will add my vote for Primanti's in the Strip District (18th St. just off Penn Avenue). No matter when you get there, Primanti's will be open. (Did someone say that the trains are always on time? :angry:) Furthermore, it's going to be much easier to get there than, say, the South Side on foot. And the sandwich will be big enough that you'll be fine until you get to Cleveland. However, you'll probably have to go elsewhere to get that drink. I am unable to help on that front, largely because I moved away to go to college, well before I came of age.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2