• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap lobster in Philadelphia -- retail

I actually looked at the lobster tank today at Superfresh on Delaware Ave./Chris Columbus Blvd.

They looked okay, but were 12.99 a lb, so didn't buy any.

Whenever we go down to Cape May, we bring our cooler, stop at the Lobster House restaurant.

They have a take out seafood store. We always buy lots of fresh seafood, lots of local stuff (just ask what's locally caught), and bring it home. Ask for enough ice to "bring it back to Philly", and they'll happily do so.

...and, we always purchase a couple of fresh lobsters. If I recall, its something like 6.99 a lb.

Philly Francophiles

• 2 weeks later...
While you can probably find lobster that's $1 or $2 cheaper per pound, I don't think it's worth it. The RTM vendor has decent turnover compared to most other sellers of lobsters in these parts. However, it might be profitable to take a stroll through Chinatown as long as you're in the neighborhood.

chinatown! of course you're right. duh, i knew i was forgetting something obvious.

Chinatown will be good, but the Devon one is a good price.

Do they de-shell it for you? If not there's no reason you can't take the shells with you for stock. Just ask. Bring your own bag if you want.

It's not like they're going to take them back off the plate on the way in for their own stock use.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

OK, here's where to find what makes a lobster UNhappy: read "The Secret Life of Lobsters" in the August 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine. Written by the marvelous writer David Foster Wallace. I read someplace that the article generated the most Letters to the Editor Gourmet had ever received.

OK, here's where to find what makes a lobster UNhappy:  read "The Secret Life of Lobsters" in the August 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine.  Written by the marvelous writer David Foster Wallace.  I read someplace that the article generated the most Letters to the Editor Gourmet had ever received.

Here is the link

I belch, therefore, I ate...

No, that's a link to a discussion about the article. Since I don't know how to link to the actual article, I suggest you go down to your local public library and find the back issue of Gourmet. Settle in for the evening - it's a long read.