• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stanley Park Pavilion

Sonja

Does anybody know waht's happening at the Stanley Park Pavilion? I heard a rumor that somebody is going to take it over, renovate and remodel it and reopen it as a restaurant.

The belly rules the mind.

Oh, thanks for bumping this up, Sarah, I meant to look it up earlier:

Per the City of Vancouver website (my synopsis follows)

It is subleased to Point Group Holdings Ltd. for ten years with a five-year option to renew. Point Group is headed by Daniel Frankel, operator of the Prospect Point Café and Mill Marine Bistro in Harbour Green Park, as well as Bridges Restaurant on Granville Island and the café and catering service at the Coal Harbour Community Centre.

It is meant to be open by the May long weekend. Details are at the link above.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ah yes... the powers of the almighty search engine. I was just going to do it the old fashioned way and ask someone while I'm down there tomorrow :biggrin:

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this new development as I don't think the

pavilion seemed particularly interesting while under the previous management. However, as I only tried it a couple of times perhaps that's not really a fair assessment.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this new development as I don't think the

pavilion seemed particularly interesting while under the previous management.  However, as I only tried it a couple of times perhaps that's not really a fair assessment.

I believe Dubrulle took it over and, I think, planned to make it a sort of "practicum" addition to their cooking school. That didn't seem to work out all that well and then Dubrulle was sold and so on and so on.

Cheers,

Anne

Daniel Frankel is George Frankel's son, I guess he is being groomed to take over his Dad's places. George was (is) an original owner/investor in Bridges, has owned Prospect Point Cafe for years (he is the original owner) and as of a couple of years ago, the Mill. I don't think Daniel was even born when George opened Bridges…

I would love to know all the details of that original Bridges partnership, there is an Urban Myth out there that they pay almost nothing for the lease of Bridges and in particular the deck because of some connection with CMHC. Are all the original partners still there? Anyone have the scoop?

Daniel Frankel is George Frankel's son, I guess he is being groomed to take over his Dad's places. George was (is) an original owner/investor in Bridges, has owned Prospect Point Cafe for years (he is the original owner) and as of a couple of years ago, the Mill. I don't think Daniel was even born when George opened Bridges…

I would love to know all the details of that original Bridges partnership, there is an Urban Myth out there that they pay almost nothing for the lease of Bridges and in particular the deck because of some connection with CMHC.  Are all the original partners still there? Anyone have the scoop?

Not an urban myth- it is true that they have a very good deal on the lease.

To my knowledge. only one of the original partners has left- and I think he was a minority partner that got in because he is the ex husband of Michael's sister. Michael and his sister (what the hell is their last name?) were two of the originals, along w/Frankel and one other guy. Michael was a planning professor out at UBC,

and George Frankel was an early False Creek developer. They were all well connected with City planning and CMHC at the time. Keep in mind, though, that back then nobody knew the kind of success that GI would experience. I think other early leaseholders got pretty good deals too.

As for the deck, the story goes that they asked CMHC if they could put a few tables out, and the next thing is they have got about 400 seats out there- so it was a bit of a fait accompli. I know some people on the trust were not happy about that. It is still a public dock, so they have to keep a border around the exterior that people could walk on.

Quite an investment it has turned out to be : )

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Not an urban myth- it is true that they have a very good deal on the lease.

To my knowledge. only one of the original partners has left- and I think he was a minority partner that got in because he is the ex husband of Michael's sister. Michael and his sister (what the hell is their last name?) were two of the originals, along w/Frankel and one other guy. Michael was a planning professor out at UBC,

and George Frankel was an early False Creek developer.

I believe the last name you are looking for is Seelig, Michael Seelig. Used to also co-own Bridges Bakery and Bagels (previously Big Apple Bagels) on 6th and Fir.

I think another owner of Bridges may have been Abe Sacks. He and Michael were also partners in a proposal for a movie theatre on Granville Island back around 1998.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Yes!

thank you. I think it might be Selig though.

A LONG time ago, when I worked there, the warning when

Michael had come down to the restaurant was "the seagull has landed."

And yes, it was Abe Sacks.

I remember there was quite the furor down there when that theatre idea was floated. Quite the political maelstrom, as I recall.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Yes!

thank you. I think it might be Selig though.

A LONG time ago, when I worked there, the warning when

Michael had come down to the restaurant was "the seagull has landed."

And yes, it was Abe Sacks.

I remember there was quite the furor down there when that theatre idea was floated. Quite the political maelstrom, as I recall.

re: "the seagull has landed" too funny :laugh: I used to work at the bagel place on 6th and Fir and we had some, shall we say interesting , thoughts/comments about visitations from him as well. :biggrin:

sarah

Maybe off topic, but I heard Daniel Frankel recently bought Delilah's too. I'm not sure when...

[

re: "the seagull has landed" too funny :laugh: I used to work at the bagel place on 6th and Fir and we had some, shall we say interesting , thoughts/comments about visitations from him as well. :biggrin:

George Costanza

Ah, the bagel deli. I remember many of our staff parties used to be held there.

Maybe we met in a former life  :biggrin:

Possibly... but I worked there a long, long, long time ago. At least it feels that way. Okay... just pulled out an old resume... it was indeed a long time ago... 1988 to be exact! :laugh:

I can remember getting there earlier and earlier almost on a weekly basis because of those darn people addicted to their early morning espresso. We were supposed to open at 8:30 or so and had to get in at least an hour ahead of time for prep. The regulars would see us and start knocking on the door, requesting a "quick" espresso. Next thing you know... we end up opening the doors at 7:30 because we're there and may as well keep the regulars happy. That's what it's all about right?

Oh those were the days.... :biggrin:

sarah