• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maryland-Who's Going to Roedown?

bavila

This Sunday, April 10, I'll be attending my first steeplechase event after covering the tailgating competitors for the Annapolis Capital (see article). My group will bring some basic goodies (wine, cheese, crawfish remoulade -- yes I'm from Louisiana), but I can't wait to check out the serious tailgaters.

Who's going? What will you bring -- chips and dip or haute cuisine? How does tailgating at Roedown compare to other regional horse events (Preakness, Gold Cup)?

Bridget Avila

My Blog

How does tailgating at Roedown compare to other regional horse events (Preakness, Gold Cup)?

I'm not going and I don't know about the others but I can tell you that "tailgating" at the Preakness (at least in the infield) consists of massive quantities of cheap beer, wet tee shirts and fried chicken from the Royal Farm store.

I will be there--but I will be helping with a horse, not spectating.

It is different from the Preakness or the Gold Cup--infield Preakness crowds bring beer, beer and more beer. A hot dog might be included as an afterthought. For Gold Cup, there are more 20-somethings than families, and everyone dresses up. The tailgates are similar in their variety--everything from crystal, silver, and fancy food (like little crab cakes), to a bucket of chicken and a cooler full of beer. The Roedown crowd is dressed more casually, and there are more families. I think the difference is due to the price of admission. Gold Cup tickets are expensive, and have to be bought in advance; Roedown is way cheaper and general admission is paid at the gate.

We had a large tailgate at Howard County Races two weeks ago. Here's the menu:

Deep fried turkey, a ham, meatballs in barbecue sauce, homemade tomato-butternut squash soup, mushroom quiche, quiche lorraine, assorted cheeses, egg and caviar dip, veggies and ranch dip, salsa and chips, devilled eggs, homemade creampuffs, homemade cookies, and strawberries dipped in chocolate.

It was all good. Unfortunately, I will be grabbing a sub on the way over there--no tailgate for me this week.

Well, we couldn't have asked for better weather yesterday -- 70 degrees, sunny, and only a slight breeze -- a gorgeous Maryland spring day. I changed my menu as I was crawfished-out. I brought a frittata, veggie antipasto, guacamole, grapes, cheese, and crackers. Friends contributed wine, an arugula and strawberry salad, and chocolate cake. We hardly ate a thing considering all we brought. I think we were all just drunk on sunshine.

I was somewhat disappointed in the food the tailgaters had, though I didn't check everyone out. I think there are a core of foodies who go all out, and others just bring fried chicken and such. I was most impressed by one group who had beautiful copper bar bins and pitchers of cosmos.

This was a very kid-friendly event, and my two-year-old had a blast just running around us on the hill and pointing out the horses as they ran by.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

We went last year in horrible weather, opted out this year to watch the Masters. I saw tailgates that ran the gamut from plebian to spectacular. Many folks were fighting the rain and wind and cold.

Our group brought grills and smokers and had an assortment of burgers, bratwursts, smoked turkey breasts, salads, shrimp cocktail. My neighbor was cooking a bunch of ribs Saturday to take to Roedown Sunday.

Glad you all had good weather!

• 11 months later...

Looking forward to my second Roedown. This year I'll be one of the tailgate judges, so hubby and kids may be left to fend for themselves food-wise. :wink:

Anyone going? What food and/or drink will you bring?

Bridget Avila

My Blog