• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shiritake Noodles in Korean Cuisine?

A local grocer that seems to cater exclusively to Koreans carries a few types of shiritake noodles(konjac/yam bean noodles). Do Koreans utilize this traditionally Japanese ingredient? And, if so, what for? What do they call it?

You'll find alot of Japanese and Chinese ingredients. Japanese ingredients tend to be less expensive than at Japanese stores and Chinese ingredients tend to be more expensive that at Chinese stores.

shiritake noodles(konjac/yam bean noodles)

Koreans would use them for Japanese style preparations. We would just call them shiritake. It's very easy to phonetically write Japanese words in Korean.

I recall seeing dried Yam noodles in Korean markets. I'll have to check the name when I go to the store today. I just can't recall off the top of my head.

Shiro-taki? Shira-taki

You're right, I couldn't think why it didn't sound right! I corrected my post to avoid confusion, so now nobody will know what we are talking about, but thank you anyway!

I actually hate the things, and would much rather have the thicker type of konnyaku noodle, but each to his/her own taste, I guess!

touaregsand, its interesting that you say you found them dried... I was at a Chinese market the other day, and I found them in these refrigerator packs, bundled up in compartments (like pudding packs), in water. They were labelled in Japanese and in plain English "Shiritake Noodles". I bought some, I'll take a photo later.

The Yam noodles, which are typically labelled as "Oriental Noodle" used for Jap Chae is a totally different animal though. I've used them in Sukiyaki-type preparations as well but they have a different texture.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

touaregsand, its interesting that you say you found them dried... I was at a Chinese market the other day, and I found them in these refrigerator packs, bundled up in compartments (like pudding packs), in water. They were labelled in Japanese and in plain English "Shiritake Noodles". I bought some, I'll take a photo later.

The Yam noodles, which are typically labelled as "Oriental Noodle" used for Jap Chae is a totally different animal though. I've used them in Sukiyaki-type preparations as well but they have a different texture.

I said I saw dried yam noodles not dried shiritake noodles.

Dried yam noodles or sweet potato starch noodles are called dang myun. Initially I was wondering if Korean dried yam noodles and sweet potatoe starch noodles were slighlty different, but now I don't think so. I'll have to a bit of research to be absolutely certain.

Edited by touaregsand (log)