• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef Contender Tom Douglas!

Anyone listening to Tom's show last night on KIRO AM (I sure was) heard his announcement that he will be a contender for The Iron Chef America title. His episode will air at the end of this April.

He has not yet been given his 2 ingredients (the 3rd isn't revealed until show day) but was taking suggestions on how best to charm the judges.

It will be a show worth watching. Good luck to Tom!

It doesn't look like they have an archive from their website, but I emailed them to ask. I am especially interested in hearing it again because my husband Jordi was interviewed during the show about our pizza at Lago. TD is a generous promoter of restaurants other than his own. :smile:

edited by Carla because of caffeine deficiency:

I didn't mean "other than his own", I meant to say in addition to, or as well as, or just that he is generous.

Edited by olivina (log)

Thanks for the heads up - I missed the announcement - thought I caught some of the pizza talk and referrrals to Cafe Lago!

Batali/Douglas would be a fun match. They could both wear shorts and clogs = and fight for Salumi products.

Does anyone know where Iron Chef is filmed? When coming home fron NY yesterday, we passed Tom Douglas and his family as they were arriving. Were they there to film I wonder.......

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

It will be filmed in NYC, I believe towards the end of this month (?). Tom mentioned also that his chef, Eric Tanaka will be cooking at James Beard the same week as the Iron shoot. Busy week for TD and company! Sure wish I could have heard the rest of that radio show. I wonder what people's suggestions were for winning over the judges. Kiro really should air Tom's show at a more convenient time for me!

Edited by me for bad grammer! :sad:

Edited by olivina (log)

The first post says that the episode will air at the end of April (this month). If the show hasn't been taped yet, I assume that's an error? Any idea when it will actually air?

oh sorry, i am a fountain of misinformation. apparently it tapes at the end of april and airs shortly thereafter.

Edited to add that Eric Tanaka is on the James Beard website as cooking in the house on April 29.

Edited by olivina (log)