• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Fishmonger for Sushi-Quality Fish

ASM NY

Empire!? where did you get this valuable information Tod?

1. Sunrise Mart has the same food establishment certificate as Panya, its on the wall and Sunrise Mart's legal name is Panya (guess the bakery started first).

2. I know people who know the owner, there are something like 13 restaurants in the empire.

3. Ask the people who work there.

Many of the other Japanese places in the same area are part of a different empire: Soba-Ya, Ebishu (sushi place across from Sobya-Ya), the new upstairs cafe directly across from Soba-ya, Decibel all have the same owner and he has other places as well, liek Sakegura.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday I saw some fresh (but not necessarily sushi grade?) in Chinatown. I also saw a frozen non-Sushi Turbot at Sunrise Market. I am not confident in selecting raw fish myself, when it is not labeled "for Sushi." I just picked up some Yamaimo and Sushi Grade Tuna at Sunrise for Yamakake. It was ok in freshness for Yamakake, but, for some reason, the structure of the tuna cut did not liken it to Sushi/Sashimi.

I'm surprised you only found a few kinds at Mitsuwa - they usually have a pretty decent spread. That's your best bet in the area, as you can be assured of safety and quality.

Really any fish is sushi-grade, especially if it's already been flash-frozen, if it's fresh and has been handled correctly. There doesn't seem to be anything official about the nomenclature. You might just want to buy what you want and give it a quick sear. Or stick with whole fish...

• 4 months later...

I just bought a sushi knife (a yanagiba) and since cutting newspapers for the first couple of days was getting old, I wanted to find some fish to cut. I was just at Mitsuwa a couple of weeks ago and I know they have decent fish, but today I was too lazy to go head over there. On some old information I got from this thread, I headed to St. Marks. The JAS market there had no fish whatsoever. I don't know whether this was an aberration, but it was a complete waste of time to try it out. Luckily, there is a new market on St. Marks (new to me at any rate) at about the middle of the block. FYI: The store is very attractive; their produce looks first rate and things looked well organized. It had salmon, scallops, and tuna. I bought one of each.

The tuna was a disaster. Evidently not well handled, since the texture turned out to be mush. Worse than what you can get in Chinatown. I should have know better since it had that irradiated neon glow of manipulated tuna. The salmon was better, and not a bad value at 11.99/lb. The scallops were slightly better than the tuna but not by much.

So, does anyone know of any place in Manhattan to get decent quality fish for sashimi and sushi? The suggestions on this thread are old and I am hoping for fresh leads. Or, is it the case that one just has to head over to NJ?

The Korean market underneath Grand Sichuan? That's St. Mark's Market.

Did you try Sunrise Mart?

I was in Flushing last weekend, went into the mall with Hong Kong supermarket, seemed to be a lot of sushi-grade fish out for sale.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Picked up some bluefin o-toro and some kampachi for sashimi at Mitsuwa last Saturday:

gallery_21675_3170_83745.jpg

gallery_21675_3170_43953.jpg

Also got some fresh wasabi root; with freshly grated wasabi and some Ohara Hisakichi Shouten Soy Sauce, both were excellent. I would have been pleased to have been served either at a sushi place.

Also, not sushi related, but I can't resist: I also picked up some wagyu rib cap:

gallery_21675_3170_145083.jpg

Picked up some bluefin o-toro and some kampachi for sashimi at Mitsuwa last Saturday:

gallery_21675_3170_83745.jpg

gallery_21675_3170_43953.jpg

Also got some fresh wasabi root; with freshly grated wasabi and some Ohara Hisakichi Shouten Soy Sauce, both were excellent. I would have been pleased to have been served either at a sushi place.

Also, not sushi related, but I can't resist: I also picked up some wagyu rib cap:

gallery_21675_3170_145083.jpg

It's hard to tell by just the looks but that O-toro looks promising. Should probably take a blow torch to it though. How much was it $/lb?

It's hard to tell by just the looks but that O-toro looks promising. Should probably take a blow torch to it though. How much was it $/lb?

I think the o-toro was $70/lb. I briefly contemplated using a blow torch, but I actually don't care for that treatment a whole lot; I always find that I can taste the gas.

Light blow torch, apply to tuna for a few seconds to get maillard action, slice.  I agree it can be a bit chemically tasting.  I see it more as a technique to use with baseline maguro to develop more complex flavors.

Personally I would never torch regular tuna for consumption. In fact I like to leave Tuna, chutoro, and toro alone. I think searing is for the O-toro that is so fat, it is nearly solid at room temperature.

w133571889.jpg

may not look like much, but it's delicious.

Edited by JWangSDC (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Paid a visit to Mitsuwa this weekend and they had a ton of good stuff. Tuna/Chutoro/Otoro then Bluefin Tuna/Chutoro/Otoro. Other fishes I remember seeing were salmon, mackerel, spanish mackerel, anago, unagi, kohada(wow!), and many others. Also picked up a decent Hangiri and made myself a nice sushi bfast.

m135378565.jpg

Ha! I was out there on Saturday. Downed a Santouka toroniku shioramen and ikuradon set. Damn good stuff. Puts Setagaya to shame shame shame. There is a feature in the current CHOPSTICKS on ramen that is very good and informative. But CHOPSTICKS and NYJAPION and their ASIAN FOOD DIGEST have a major credibility issue; they only list and promote those who advertise with them - the more, the more of a shill. It's pretty shameless.

• 3 weeks later...