• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's needs a kitchen?

Tim Z

:rolleyes: Having woken up with a bit of a hangover this morning, I fancied a proper English breakfast. The sun was out, 2nd time this year (whe-hey!) so I thought I'd have a go on the barbie. (Except I don't actually have a barbecue, since the legs fell off the last one, after years of barbecuing, beyond the call of duty.)

So, I improvised. My new barbie on wheels is actually an old metal vegetable trolley, whose previous incarnation was a bathroom trolley. I lined the top tray with foil, set up the charcoal, and I was off.

I cooked the eggs in pockets of foil, and the beans, the rest done straight on the barbie. I thought it was great, if someone could tell me how to post the pic, I'd show you the results! (I'm new on here!)

Welcome Tim Z

Your breakfast sounds great. Was fried bread a part of the meal?

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Welcome to the Society, Tim Z!

Sounds like you might be in Australia. Are beans a normal part of your "English breakfast?" What kind of beans? Here in Texas and other parts of the Southwest US and Mexico, beans appear at breakfast as refried in a bit of lard or bacon grease.

Info on posting pictures is here. That forum has lots of information. Great to have you aboard.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hi Andiesenji and Fifi,

Actually I'm from Cyprus, but I live in the UK. Baked beans are pretty traditional here (they come in cans) but fried bread less so, these days. Being a bit of a desperado cook, I used greek 'corek' bread (not sure what the English word is), which has sesame seeds - which work surprisingly well with it. I'll see if I can post a pic now, thanks for the link.

Edited by Tim Z (log)

Ok, here goes - apologies if this goes horribly wrong - I've uploaded a pic to a 'my album' in imagegullet, and I'm going to try to post it/ post the link? Help!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...md=si&img=13376

Is that right? Or is there a way to make the image appear on the page? Cheers - all help apreciated!

That Trolley, by Golly, is a COOKING MACHINE!!! Who'd-a thought!?

Just like the lovely breakfasts of our last trip---one of those down-to-the-restaurant for immense fortifications of sausages and beans and grilled tomatoes before hitting the bus for Yorkshire.

And all from a piece of BATHROOM furniture? You're a genius.

And now the pan of cinnamon rolls in my oven doesn't seem quite so interesting.

rachel

I am still trying to figure out how you make a cooker out of a trolley. Maybe I don't know what a trolley is? How long does it take to cook the eggs in the foil and over what kind of heat?

On the picture . . . Scroll down to the next to last segment in the instructions I linked to. That will explain the IMG tags.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Tim - welcome to eGullet. Superb and proper british breakfast. I (and your arteries) salute you.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Hello Moby, Rachel. Thanks for your responses. Fifi - it's just a metal trolley - you know the kind of thing - with wheels and three baskets. I just lined the top one with foil. The other racks I just used to hold the bits and peices. You just make sure the charcoal's not too hot - and time it - just use instinct - there's no adjustments unfortunately - apart from moving things to the outside where it's not to hot.

What am I doing wrong with my pic posting?

Edited by Tim Z (log)