• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tartes - Has anyone been to this gem?

shacke

People can talk of Miel until blue in the face but there is a terrific stand alone bakery called Tartes at 212 Arch St. It is nestled 'tween 2 parking lots and I happened to stumble upon it last year by chance. Serendipity for sure!

It is a tiny establishment with a walk up window. It's got that drive in feel to it - you can't go in and the kitchen/sales area is all in one small room. Everything I have had there is pretty darn tasty but I must admit that I "think" of the chocolate creme brulee tart too often for my own good. :wub:

It remains pretty much a secret still to most but I wanted to know if anyone else has discovered it. I have not seen it spoken of much and I don't know why. I hope they stay around forever.

If you get the chance, stop by. Desserts are about, oh, $4 for tarts and pastries. Probably less for cookies. They also have standard size cakes and pies and do holiday orders as well.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

It's under the radar mostly because it wants to be.

I don't believe they market themselves at all.

IIRC, the owner didn't really want to do retail, but people kept coming up and asking about the cakes and such (not suprising when your has big huge windows on it like that.)

She (?) probably should've got a smaller place to avoid that, but thems the breaks.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I *heart* Tartes and go pretty much every First Friday when they're open late (usually until 9pm). She (Teresa Walls?) usually has a fabulous chocolate hazelnut mousse mini cake, the mini pale yellow key lime pie is a lovely tart/sweet combination, a fruit combo tart (blueberry peach, apricot blueberry, pear+?+almond), the mini banana cream pie has a very thick vanilla bean flecked custard in a classic graham crumb crust with a thick layer of fresh whipped cream and a few caramelized bananas on top. There are some cookies and muffin/cupcakes also but since I can make those I go for the other mini cakes. mmmm. I'll try to post some pictures the next time I go.

• 2 months later...
Although I won't swear on them, I believe these are the hours:

Noon-6pm, Tues-Sat.

(Best bet is Tuesday thru Friday at listed times, then you are guaranteed some Tartes bliss.)

And First Fridays until 9pm. The pastry cream for the banana or coconut cream pie has vanilla bean flecks in it and the crust for the coconut cream pie contains toasted coconut too. mmmmmm.

kt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last First Friday, there was a Hummingbird cake, a triple layer spice cake with a cream cheese frosting, pecans (?) and pineapple inside. There was a cluster of tiny orange red berries on top, along with a little feather It just fit into the plastic container, and we barely finished it along with a chocolate something or other cake/torte. Mmm, dessert for dinner.