• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teenage dishwasher needed once a month

ejebud

I hope this isn't inappropriate to post here, I am in dire need of a young lad who drives that would be willing to be the dishwasher for my local Les Marmitons chapters monthly event held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in Union. I am (as many of you know) the VP of the club. We meet from 5:30 pm untill approx 11:30pm, however they would not need to get there untill 6 or 6:30.

The jobs rewards are multi faceted. First of all it pays $50. Secondly you get a phenominal 5 course meal, and lastly, but not leastly, you learn alot about cooking. It is perfect for someone who is beginning their journey in the field of food or cooking school. If any of you guys have a son who may be into food and want to make $50 bucks, PM me. BTW, the dishwashing equiptment is proffessional stuff so it's not all by hand. Thanks guys!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

OR, we might really enjoy it!! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just curious, but any reason in particular it's got to be a guy?

I knew I should have put in a discalimer!! It's only because its a Men's Cooking Society. A woman/girl may feel out of place.

Why would the woman\girl feel out of place? Would the men make a woman feel uncomfortable, even though, the helper would be in the kitchen?

In this day and age, I would really like to believe that we are past this issue...sadly we're not.

Edited by MsSumida (log)

http:/www.etuinc.com

Just curious, but any reason in particular it's got to be a guy?

I knew I should have put in a discalimer!! It's only because its a Men's Cooking Society. A woman/girl may feel out of place.

Why would the woman\girl feel out of place? Would the men make a woman feel uncomfortable, even though, the helper would be in the kitchen?

In this day and age, I would really like to believe that we are past this issue...sadly we're not.

My sincere appologies to you. I truly did not mean to offend. I realize the closed mindedness of my statement. I'm very sorry.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I wouldn't send my teenage girl...

Political correctness aside, I would definately want to know that it's a men's club no matter what type of club it is.

EDIT: ejebud when you post just mention that it's a men's cooking society looking for a dishwasher. I don't think too many girls will be applying. :rolleyes:

Edited by touaregsand (log)

While I'm not going to defend any all-male club in 2005, here is the text off of the Les Marmitons web site:

About Les Marmitons

Les Marmitons is a gastronomic and social club of gentlemen who share a common interest in fine food, wine and the culinary arts. Through regular gatherings, members gain knowledge and experience in the preparation, and presentation of various fine cuisines under the direction of a specially selected professional chef.

Marmitons History

The tradition of a group of gentlemen inviting master chefs to lead them in preparing elaborate meals began in Europe many years ago, and was introduced to North America almost twenty years ago by Swiss immigrants. The word "marmiton" is French and means a kitchen boy, or chef's helper.

At least it offers an explanation.

I recall that the Star Ledger did a piece on this group (probably over a year ago) and my first thought was that I would LOVE to join, but alas, it is a men's group. The objection I have is to the fact that it wasn't established hundreds of years ago, so I don't know why they chose/choose to exclude the rest of us, but that's a whole OTHER discussion.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

While I'm not going to defend any all-male club in 2005, here is the text off of the Les Marmitons web site:

About Les Marmitons

Les Marmitons is a gastronomic and social club of gentlemen who share a common interest in fine food, wine and the culinary arts. Through regular gatherings, members gain knowledge and experience in the preparation, and presentation of various fine cuisines under the direction of a specially selected professional chef.

Marmitons History

The tradition of a group of gentlemen inviting master chefs to lead them in preparing elaborate meals began in Europe many years ago, and was introduced to North America almost twenty years ago by Swiss immigrants. The word "marmiton" is French and means a kitchen boy, or chef's helper.

At least it offers an explanation.

I recall that the Star Ledger did a piece on this group (probably over a year ago) and my first thought was that I would LOVE to join, but alas, it is a men's group.  The objection I have is to the fact that it wasn't established hundreds of years ago, so I don't know why they chose/choose to exclude the rest of us, but that's a whole OTHER discussion.

**Dons flame proof suit**

Les Marmitons was first introduced in Canada by Swiss immigrants approximatley 20 years ago. The idea of men meeting with chef's as stated in the Les Marmitons literature, is a long standing TRADITION that started many years ago, which one can assume is well over 20 years since it has been stated that it was introduced to North American that long ago. I'm not saying that excluding women is neccesarily politically correct, but TRADITION is leading us here. Think about some traditions in your own experience, and how sacred and special they are to you. Now, that being said, there are cultural differences that I have seen by attending events of some Canadian chapters, and there are differences in dynamics between being with all men, or all women, or both men and women. I know my wife likes to do "night out with the girls" a few times a month. That outing has a whole different feel to it than couples night out. It's not good or bad, just different. Throw a man into the mix of a girls night out and I guarantee you the topic of discussion would be different. Politically correct? maybe not, but it is what is. I again had no intention of offending anyone. I consider my time at a Lea Marmitons event as "Boys night out" and very sacred and special to me. The rest of my time is spent with my family and friends of all sexes, races, colors, creeds, religions, lack of religions.

**Jumps off soap box**

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

My sincere appologies to you. I truly did not mean to offend.  I realize the closed mindedness of my statement.  I'm very sorry.

Thank you, I really appreciate that :)

I hope you have much success finding someone to help and great enjoyment with your event!

http:/www.etuinc.com