• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masala Zone -- Great value or Overrated?

I took a friend to Masala Zone in Soho last week -- first time for both of us -- and after hearing so many great things about this "Wagamama" of Indian restaurants, I was disappointed.

We were there a bit early for the evening crowd and there were several servers standing around but yet it took them about 10 minutes to come to our table with menus.

My friend was German and not familiar with Indian food, so I suggested we started with some poppadums and chutney. I specifically said we would like those as a starter and at the same time we ordered our mains (a lamb vindaloo and a vegetable curry).

The poppadums came swiftly (a good thing!) but they were then followed about 30 seconds later by our mains. So much for a starter.

No matter, we started on the poppadums but the chutney was less than wonderful. We weren't really given enough for the 4 poppadums and the other alternative to the sweet chutney was a green, rather tasteless paste.

On to the mains, which were lukewarm by the time we got to them. I don't think they came to the table truly hot. I didn't try the veggie curry but my lamb vinadloo was less than impressive. The lamb was tender, which was nice, but it wasn't really spicy at all. When I order vindaloo I expect to feel the heat -- that's the point! -- but this was only a medium heat at most.

All that to say that I was less than impressed. Although it's cheap and quick, I felt it fell down on the quality of the food and service.

I have had the same experiences on two occasions going solo and with a group. Give them a miss.

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I've been once and am in no rush to go back. I have a vague recollection of recommending it to someone months after I'd been there as it always gets such good press. But it has struck me that most of the good press comes from Time Out and I think they have a habit of championing places and then never being able to say a bad word about them. Their sign in Islington, if I remember correctly, makes a big meal about the quality of the food you get for the price which is never a good claim.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I've always thought that Masala Zone was perfectly allright but nothing to write home about really. When I worked in Soho and it had just opened it was quite a good location for a large group from the office, with something for everyone on the menu. And I've liked the vegetarian thali the times I've been back there since. But I also remember having some sort of coconut noodle bowl a while back that was nearly inedible. Hmmm... I have, however, recommended it to a number of visitors because the food, while not spectacular is reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is plesant enough. It's a good place to send my legions of Canadian visitors because they get their London curry fix and also don't break the bank. (the exchange rate, is, as always, nasty for them)

Incidentally, I can't be neutral about Masala Zone right now as they are currently building one in Earls Court directly across from my flat! It was supposed to be open in January but there's a posting up now saying that the hoardings will come off in mid April. So I hope that at least the clientele is palatable :biggrin:

Elizabeth

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences of Masala Zone have been radically different from the previous entries.

I have been going to the Soho restaurant for almost 4 years - since it first began - at an average of once every two - three weeks. I have been impressed by the palpably authentic Indian food (I lived in India for a couple of years), at very affordable prices.

I have found the quality consistent, and the service very smiley. I have had the occasional glitch, but having now eaten there well over 75 times that is hardly surprising.

I have also eaten at the Islington sister a few times and,apart from liking the decor there too, have found the food equally good there.

To me, they stands head and shoulders above other restaurants at the same price point giving Indian food - for food, service and style.

Well done!

• 4 weeks later...