• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Coffee Meetup group

phaelon56

Fortune Elkins is a coffee and espresso aficionado in the NYC area and tireless volunteer for the SCAA consumer outreach program. Among her many activities has been spearheading efforts to get a group together for regular coffee related meetings and activites in NY. They have some cool donated door prizes at many of their functions and offer a chance to get exposure to such things as coffee cuppings etc.

New York City Coffee Meetup Group

If there's no such organization in your metro area it might be worth starting one (hint hint).

The NYC group has a fun event coming up on March 9th that will include shot pulling sessions on a La Marzocco two group machine and door prizes including a Gaggia espresso machine (among other items).

To attend please see the eGullet Event Calendar info here

Would this be a good event for coffee newbies? In other words, I'm not a coffee nerd, but I'd like to become one...

Absolutely. Yes indeed. As a matter of fact... here's what the coorindator had to say in a recent correspondence...

i know that most of our group members do not have espresso machines.

because of this, i'm leaning towards asking those few of you who do if you would be content to keep your names out of the drawing for the gaggia. this way people without any espresso machine would have an improved chance of coming to share our espresso lifestyle!

however i've not taken a firm stand on this yet. if any of you have strong feelings, please contact me either way and i'll try to develop some kind of consensus here, as much as is reasonable. . .

It's safe to assume that most folks without espresso machines are interested in coffee and espresso but not wild eyed hard core fiends (or perhaps they are but not about coffee :wink: ).

Attendance is already slated for about 20 people - possibly more. I haven't met the NYC group but can state with confidence that you'll find most espresso and coffee enthusiasts, even those with years of experience and a vast amount of knowledge, very down-to-earth and always happy to share their experience with newbies. Don't think "coffee elite" or "coffee snobs".... think "people who love great coffee/espresso and enjoy sharing it with others".

Would it make sense to try for a coffee meetup in Syracuse? We could be sure to reach out to people in Rochester, Utica, Ithaca.

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

Would it make sense to try for a coffee meetup in Syracuse?  We could be sure to reach out to people in Rochester, Utica, Ithaca.

Lonnie

Perhaps so. A well organized group could at least encompass Syracuse, Rochester and Ithaca. Gimme Coffee in Ithaca does their own roasting, Spin Caffe in Rochester does and Freedom of Espresso in Syracuse likewise. That provides three separate places to meet/visit, each with their own style and approach to roastign and espresso preparation. It might indeed be workable.

We could reach out to Utica for participants but I think the few significant places there offering espresso get their beans from Freedom of espresso already.

This is a concept that eGullet members might want to explore and develop in their own regional area. Event announcements can be posted on the eG calendar and announced here but all organization discussions etc. whould take place off-line byt way of PM's or emails.

Just wanted to mention briefly that I went to this meetup last night (Owen, thanks for calling it to our attention.) I thought the whole thing was very impressive. Fortune Elkins gave a talk about espresso -- what it is, how it's made, what it should look like, the machinery needed to make it, what a barrista does, etc. -- that was succint, informative, and a pleasure to listen to. We then all took turns pulling shots on the espresso machine, and it was, for me, very helpful to be going through the steps that Fortune had just explained. I'm a complete newbie to espresso -- drank my first cup last night (not the shot I pulled :raz: ) -- but have wanted to learn more about it for quite a while, so last night was a wonderful opportunity. It was held at a coffee shop called Joe the Art of Coffee, on Waverly Place. The owner and people who work in the shop were very generous with their time, their knowledge, and their coffee, and I know I'll be there again. :smile: They're opening a second shop on E. 13th sometime soon (I forget when.) There's a possibility that the next coffee meetup will be at a place that roasts beans (somewhere in Queens.) I look forward to my introduction to that process. It will be some time at the end of April.

Thanks for providing the update and feedback. I'll guess that you've now discovered just how friendly and down to earth the typical espresso fiend is. We love to talk about coffee and espresso.... pull shots... compare notes... and share with friends (new and old alike). I think coffee is really the true social lubricator - the heck with alcohol!

I think coffee is really the true social lubricator - the heck with alcohol!

Oh I'm in definite agreement with you there. The enthusiasm for and love of the subject was evident, and they're all more than willing to share their knowledge with others in the name of creating new coffee affecionados.

Espresso puzzles me a bit in its "social framework," if I may use that term. Coffee is a lingering sort of drink; it's tailor made for social interaction. It's hot, we sip it slowly, talking to friends and/or strangers all the while. But espresso doesn't seem to fit into this category. Somehow I think of it as more of a solitary drink, perhaps because it's taken in small doses and finished rather quickly. It's even called having "shots," like shots of liquor, which I always associate with the solitary person at the bar. (Maybe I read too many books. :raz: )

In any case, I intend to pursue my espresso learning. :smile: