• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your humble servant

Rich Pawlak

Funny you should mention that - I was just in Philladelphia the other day at this ultra touristy place called the "City Tavern" (not my choice) where the staff is dressed in old timey costumes... The food was passable but what was notable was that they had three brews there named after presidents Washington, Jefferson and Franklin that were supposed to be their personal recipies. Mr. Jefferson was pretty tasty. No idea if the presidents themselves formulated the recipes or if they were just their favorites. Wish I could have gone on one of your tours, but I was not in control of the plans for the day anyway.

Nice, Rich. I especially like the shout-out to Chambersburg. But I have to dispute this:

While the idea of an all-day beer-drinking tour with dozens of beer samplings sounds like a guarantee of drunken revelry, he says that isn't the case.

"Beer geeks are quiet, they take notes and pictures," he said. "They are very serious about their beer."

Quiet? You? Why do you lie to the nice newspaper lady, Rich? Why?

Nice, Rich.  I especially like the shout-out to Chambersburg.  But I have to dispute this:
While the idea of an all-day beer-drinking tour with dozens of beer samplings sounds like a guarantee of drunken revelry, he says that isn't the case.

"Beer geeks are quiet, they take notes and pictures," he said. "They are very serious about their beer."

Quiet? You? Why do you lie to the nice newspaper lady, Rich? Why?

If you went on one of the Beer Tours, you'd realize what a sedate, thoughtful bunch they tend to attract. Serious people. And I drive all day, so I dont have any beer until dinner, when it's over.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Quiet?  You?  Why do you lie to the nice newspaper lady, Rich?  Why?

If you went on one of the Beer Tours, you'd realize what a sedate, thoughtful bunch they tend to attract. Serious people. And I drive all day, so I dont have any beer until dinner, when it's over.

Notice he doesn't say that he's quiet all day, just that he doesn't drink all day. LOL!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Quiet?  You?  Why do you lie to the nice newspaper lady, Rich?  Why?

Notice he doesn't say that he's quiet all day, just that he doesn't drink all day. LOL!

I am quiet BECAUSE I dont get to drink all day, suffering in silence. For Lent, yeah, that's it, for Lent.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

From today's Trenton Times, my local paper:

Golden Age of Beer in Phila Tours

Due to some last minute cancellations, I have 4 seats left on my March 12 Tour, and 6 seats left on the MArch 19 Tour. Go get 'em!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...