• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining suggestions please..

Spinner

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I will be taking a trip to Alaska for our honeymoon this Sept.

We have a 2 night stay in Vancouver before going on our cruise and I am in need of some help.

I would like to take my soon-to-be wife out for dinner while we are there.

Price really isnt a concern (well I dont want to be paying 500 per person but I digress) but the menu is.

I am NOT a picky eater in any way while my fiance is. She will eat seafood but nothing too "out there" (hey she said it not me) and she certainly will not eat any type of offal. (She hasnt yet but she will wink wink).

I'd like a memorable meal..nothing generic..

Hints? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

West, in a heartbeat. I can't say enough about the culinary genius of Chef David Hawksworth; every meal I've enjoyed there has been nothing short of superlative. And, according to your criterion, absolutely memorable.

Website is here, the Dine Out Vancouver thread for West is here, and the blowout-over-the-top Chef's Table thread is here.

If your fiancee has specific food concerns, you should PM Chef Hawksworth directly to discuss them. I'm sure he'd be more than accommodating.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

i completely agree with west - amazing. and they are very accommodating for special occasions.

another wow 'celeb' factor would have to be lumiere, of chef rob feenie fame. www.lumiere.ca

West

That is where I would go if someone said, " I am coming to Vancouver, where should I eat?".

We were last there when it was still Ouest but the food was excellent then and from what I have read here, it remains very good.

My wife and I laugh as we seem to "educate" our north shore friends of where to dine to dine in Vancouver...last trip it was Cru...our buddy raved about the tasting menu at Ouest..

Jamie Maw: I remember our friend asking, "What is Lumiere?"..they had seen it in the magazine but knew nothing of it...mind you to his credit he took me to Ken Bogas' Saltimbocca where we ate his great rare tuna and too oaked CA chardonnay washed down with his pineau des charentes and my grappa...thank goodness it was on his card and not mine!

I cannot thank all of you enough. I had actually been "nudged" toward West from a friend that travels to Vancouver frequently but I wanted to confirm his opinions through another source.

Im going to go with West I believe. Ill be sure to make a post in this thread to let you know how things progress.

Thanks!