• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pandan Cheese Roll

One of my favourite snacks is the Pandan Cheese Roll found at Bengawan Solo outlets in Singapore. It's a soft green Swiss roll-style cake filled with a delectable cream laced with shredded cheese bits.

Does anyone have a recipe for this? I can probably figure out the roll part, but, am a bit stumped as to the type of cheese they use in the cream.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering that it's something local (to singapore), my guess it's a chedder cheese. You can make it doing a simple creme patissiere and then add it grated chedder. I'll go through my old recipe books to see if I can find a cream cheese recipe for your roll.

One of my favourite snacks is the Pandan Cheese Roll found at Bengawan Solo outlets in Singapore.  It's a soft green Swiss roll-style cake filled with a delectable cream laced with shredded cheese bits.

Does anyone have a recipe for this?  I can probably figure out the roll part, but, am a bit stumped as to the type of cheese they use in the cream.

Considering that it's something local (to singapore), my guess it's a chedder cheese.  You can make it doing a simple creme patissiere and then add it grated chedder.  I'll go through my old recipe books to see if I can find a cream cheese recipe for your roll.

Thank you, Suburbanpeasant! Any suggestions/recipes would be most appreciated!

I was thinking that it might be the 'white cheddar' popular in SE Asia (doesn't this kind of cheese also come in a can?). The cheese is pale yellow in colour and the resulting cream is salty/sweet.

BTW, have you ever tried the Pandan Cheese Roll?

Considering that it's something local (to singapore), my guess it's a chedder cheese.  You can make it doing a simple creme patissiere and then add it grated chedder.  I'll go through my old recipe books to see if I can find a cream cheese recipe for your roll.

Thank you, Suburbanpeasant! Any suggestions/recipes would be most appreciated!

I was thinking that it might be the 'white cheddar' popular in SE Asia (doesn't this kind of cheese also come in a can?). The cheese is pale yellow in colour and the resulting cream is salty/sweet.

BTW, have you ever tried the Pandan Cheese Roll?

No. But I've tasted Bengawan Solo's cakes so I know the texture of their western cakes. For the pandan, my guess is it's some kind of sponge or chiffon. I'd suggest a chiffon since it's got to be rolled in creamy cheese filling. Here's Mrs Leong's recipe for a pandan chiffon cake. Not tested.

1lb grated coconut, no skin

9 egg whites

1 rounded teaspoon cream of tartar

2 tbsp pandan juice from 12 pandan leaves

8 egg yolks

9 oz (about 250g) castor sugar

170ml corn oil

vanilla essence

140g "softasilk" flour

2 heaped teaspoons baking powder

1/2 tsp fine salt

squeeze coconut for santan. Cook over low heat until nearly boiling. Cool.

beat egg whites till light and frothy, sieve in the cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff

combine egg yolks, sugar and corn oil with vanilla essence and beat lightly.

put flour in mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the egg yolk mixture. beat till smooth. add in pandan juice and santan. stir till well blended. slowly fold in egg white.

then lay out as you would with a normal swiss roll. bake at 180deg.C

For the cream cheese

this is a recipe by Marguerite Pattern from Woman's weekly circa 1960s.

1/2 oz cornflour

1/2 pint milk

salt and pepper

3 oz grated cheese (the processed ones will be fine I guess)

1 egg

paprika powder

Blend cornflour with a bit of the milk till you make a kind of runny paste. Boil the rest of the milk, then add in the runny paste and mix well over low heat. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides of the saucepan. (about 3 minutes). Cool slightly, add the egg (without prior beating), grated cheese and seasonings. Mix this well and set aside to cool. Fill your sponge with this cream cheese.

I've not tested this recipe. But my guess is that it should be right. If you want a richer taste, use another egg. If you want to take the starchy flavour out, cook it a little longer, but never let the mixture burn. If you want some whole bits of cheese, then grate some of the cheese using the larger grating hole.

Good luck

I've got some Pandan leaves stashed in the freezer, and pandan paste hidden in the pantry. I'm assuming this roll has a chiffon cake base? That's the type I always see in Chinatown's bakeries.

The roll part is like the kind found in Chinatown bakeries; but, with a chiffon base, the texture doesn't seem dense or rich enough. The Chinatown rolls have a texture that is light but has a nice bite to it - more like a butter-type cake.

Suburbanpeasant, thank you so much for taking the time to find and type out the recipes. :biggrin: Mrs. Leong's recipe seems like the most famous one for the Pandan Chiffon Cake so beloved in SEA.

Thanks again, and I'll give the recipes a try!

• 2 weeks later...
Suburbanpeasant, thank you so much for taking the time to find and type out the recipes.  :biggrin:  Mrs. Leong's recipe seems like the most famous one for the Pandan Chiffon Cake so beloved in SEA. 

Thanks again, and I'll give the recipes a try!

After a decent interval, I thought I'd ask....so how did the recipe turn out?