• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pal's Cabin Mushroom Soup

ejebud

I'm hoping one of you guys has the recipe that was published in the star ledger--Oh God knows when. They have it hanging in the lower lobby of the restaurant. Before I drive over there to stand in front of the article and write it down, I want to see if any of you guys have it.

Thanks!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

If you get it, I hope you'll share! That's legendary mushroom soup in northern NJ.

And PS, before you drive over there, you might call and ask if they can fax/email it! If it was in the Ledger, they probably get the request a LOT.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Call the restaurant. You can't post a copyrighted recipe here unless you personally have the rights to republish it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Call the restaurant. You can't post a copyrighted recipe here unless you personally have the rights to republish it.

Thank You for helping me stay out of trouble Jason!! I did go to Pal's and saw the article on the wall. It was published in the April 4, 2001 SAVOR section of the Star Ledger. I copied it down although I can't immagine that they would print a recipe that they are famous for out in the open for all to see like that?!?!

The method of prep was pretty vague ie. not written up in the typical format (list of ingredients then method of preparation) I'm going to make it for my wife for Valentines day cuz I romantical like that ya know. To heck with flowers, feed me big boy!! LOL

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Actually, since it was printed in the Star Ledger, it is specifically not to be reprinted here. However, if they did not include instructions and you write up your procedure in your own words, you could post that. Lists of ingredients are not copyrightable.

Here is my reconstruction of the vague recipe as seen in the lower lobby of Pal's cabin.

1 gallon chix stock

1# sauteed button mushrooms- Chopped

10 Oz blond roux cooked to produce a nutty aroma

Maagi seasoning

Accent

salt

White peeper

1 pt light cream

Paprika--for garnish

To each gallon of simmering chicken stock, add 1 pound of sauteed mushrooms. Then add 3 Shallots finely chopped. In a sautee pan, make a roux and cook untill the aroma resembles toasted almonds. Using approximateley 10 ounces of roux, pour enough chicken stock over the roux to create a Veloute'. Once smooth and with out lumps, add the Veloute back into the stock/ mushroom mixture. Season with Maagii, accent, salt and white pepper. Add light cream. warm through. Sprinkle Paprika on each serving as garnish.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85