• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ro-Tel Tomatoes

snowangel

oh shit, I must just be an aberration then!

it may also be personal preference, as I like the finished product to be thick as very soft cookie dough...if it runs freely off a slightly skewed chip I have issues.

I never had concerns with making the dip with undrained Ro-tel while cooking conventionally, but I've consistently had problems when cooking it in the microwave, thus my advice.

edit: it's a 'product', not 'produce'

Edited by sladeums (log)

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

oh shit, I must just be an aberration then!

it may also be personal preference, as I like the finished product to be thick as very soft cookie dough...if it runs freely off a slightly skewed chip I have issues.

I never had concerns with making the dip with undrained Ro-tel while cooking conventionally, but I've consistently had problems when cooking it in the microwave, thus my advice.

Come to think of it, I did hear of someone that drained, but then added a little extra cream. I guess whatever floats your boat, eh? Or in this case, coats your chip.

I think the secret to making it in the microwave is to chunk the Velveeta pretty small. When you make it stovetop, you can just drop some pretty big pieces in there, and the liquid from the tomatoes gets hot, and you can stir, stir, stir, and it all gets incorporated. When I nuke it, I cut the Velveeta into much smaller chunks, say 1" cubes, so it melts faster.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just tried the venerable Ro Tel and Velveeta for the first time, in the microwave, and the cheese (if you can call Velveeta "cheese") broke!  Any tips for making this next time?

Don't use Velveeta, get Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup, or one of the newer offshoots and use that instead. Doesn't get gummy, ever!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If I don't have any jars of home-canned tomato and pepper(jals and hotter, depending on what comes ripe at the same time as the toms), I use Ro-Tel.

I layer it in my tamale pie, also use it in lasagna, and in the "Frito" layered casserole which was so popular back in the 60s and occasionally is requested by friends who are feeling nostalgia for the "good old days" or some such idea.

You can also use Ro-Tel in a cold tomato "pudding" with chunks of crusty bread, for a spicier version of this summer dish.

"Mexican Pizza" made with Ro-Tel and pepper jack cheese on top of flour or corn tortillas is also very tasty.

Oh yes, the other thing is hot Italian sausage cut into bite size bits and simmered in Ro-Tel and ladled into a hollowed out round Italian bread or any crusty boule.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

. . . . .

Oh yes, the other thing is hot Italian sausage cut into bite size bits and simmered in Ro-Tel and ladled into a hollowed out round Italian bread or any crusty boule.

You just reminded me of something I haven't made in years. I would brown off wheels of hot Italian sausage, dump the Ro-Tel in there and cook down. Then I would split a crusty loaf of Italian bread, brush with good olive oil and fill with that stuff. Press it for a while and slice into serving pieces and you have pressed sandwich heaven. Sounds almost like the same thing. All great minds!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Sorry, I've been offline for a week, so I couldn't respond to those of you kind enough to respond to my question about making the queso in the microwave.

I followed the recipe on the Ro-Tel can and used regular Velveeta. Chunk the cheese, combine with tomatoes (no draining) and nuke. I forgot how long is recommended, but I nuked it for that amount and then took it out to stir it, as recommended, and it seemed already overdone. But since I like to follow a recipe the first time I make a thing, I nuked it a little more (not as much as the recipe said) and the cheese had broken.

I will try it the slow way in the pan next time!

Could it have made a difference that I nuked it in the crock from the crock pot? Once prepared, we planned to leave it in the crock pot for a while.

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

. . . . .

You just reminded me of something I haven't made in years. I would brown off wheels of hot Italian sausage, dump the Ro-Tel in there and cook down. Then I would split a crusty loaf of Italian bread, brush with good olive oil and fill with that stuff. Press it for a while and slice into serving pieces and you have pressed sandwich heaven. Sounds almost like the same thing. All great minds!

The thing with my version is that first you eat the tomatoes and sausage with a spoon, then you pull off hunks of the crusty bread into which the sauce has soaked.

It stretches a small amount of sausage into something very filling, with stick-to-the-ribs goodness!

We were at the San Antonio Livestock show and Rodeo last weekend, and the Pace booth gave away samples of "Pace Burgers" - little hamburgers with Pace mixed in, grilled and served on a tiny bun. They were really very good. You could use Ro-tel instead but I suppose you would have to drain it first.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia