• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scientists say lobsters feel no pain

calimero

Lobsters eat their young.

Maybe we're simply fulfilling our small roles in the great karmic wheel when we boil the adults.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

As a former diver in Maine waters, I can report that lobsters are known among the underwater cognoscenti as "the cockroaches of the briny deep". They eat anything, they exhibit no remorse in the heat of battle, they think nothing of sacrificing a limb and don't seem to even notice when a claw dislocates. They are not very bright.

In summer when they run into shore to shed you see them in swarms, thus the nickname "bugs". Lobstermen string traps along narrow canyons to collect them as they swim through and a few invariably get tempted by bait bags of mackeral or leather strips (see? not that bright).

Once I witnessed a swarm proceeding through a shallow channel, right over a trap-string. There must have been dozens flapping their tail (thus facing backwards) all going in one direction. I managed to count one lobster in the string of four pots. "How inefficient," I thought to myself, "All those lobsters and only one dumb enough to take the bait." That explains why the fishery does so well since traps are the only allowable way by law to harvest lobsters.

Another time, we heard Mary Tyler Moore or somebody "rescued" a giant lobster in Texas and brought it all the way to Kennebunkport and released it on the rocks by the river entrance. We happened to be diving around there the next day and found this monster. One of the divers cut into the carapace trying to get it into his net-bag, and when we hoisted it on deck, we didn't hear anything... not a single peep, in spite of the gaping hole right behind the eyes. That beast must have been 75 years old. We threw it back and every so often, ran into it off the point where we were collecting sea urchins. It really looked like it didn't give a shit about anything.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I've met 75 year old men from Maine that give the same impression. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

As a former diver in Maine waters, I can report that lobsters are known among the underwater cognoscenti as "the cockroaches of the briny deep".  They eat anything, they exhibit no remorse in the heat of battle, they think nothing of sacrificing a limb and don't seem to even notice when a claw dislocates.  They are not very bright.

In summer when they run into shore to shed you see them in swarms, thus the nickname "bugs".  Lobstermen string traps along narrow canyons to collect them as they swim through and a few invariably get tempted by bait bags of mackeral or leather strips (see? not that bright). 

Alton Brown also called them bugs:

A lobster brain's more like a grasshopper but then we really do have to use the term "brain" very, very loosely. The point is a lobster is a bug. And if you can stomp a roach or smush a spider just for crossing your path, you shouldn't get too teary eyed about sending a lobster to sleep with the fishes, especially if you're going to eat it.

He does, however, still recommend a knife behind the eyes or chilling them in the freezer for 10 minutes before cooking.

Living in Maine has many benefits, but one of the best is being able to call the fish market to tell them what time you will pick up your lobsters -- freshly cooked and piping hot.

TPO (Tammy) 

The Practical Pantry

This study weighs in on the no-pain side.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Lobsters are often called bugs because they are arthropods and, therefore, close relatives to what we more commonly think of as bugs. Go into any marine invertebrate lab and they are likely to lump lobsters, shrimp, and the like in the general category of bugs.

This study weighs in on the no-pain side.

This is actually a different article about the same study referenced in the first post, but with some interesting additional information:

Animal activists have claimed for years that lobsters feel excruciating agony when they are cooked, and that dropping one in a pot of boiling water is tantamount to torture.

But the study . . . suggests that lobsters and other invertebrates probably don't suffer -- even if lobsters do tend to thrash in boiling water.

The report was aimed at determining if invertebrates such as insects, crustaceans, worms and mollusks should be subject to animal welfare legislation as Norway revises its animal welfare law. It summarized the scientific literature dealing with feelings and pain among those creatures without backbones.

The study concluded that most invertebrates -- including lobsters, crabs, worms, snails, slugs and clams -- probably don't have the capacity to feel pain.

Kind of takes the wind out of PETA's practice of demonstrating at the Maine Lobster Festival and giving out stickers saying: "Being Boiled Hurts. Let Lobsters Live."

--