• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Fish Stores in Vancouver

just wanted some input on where ppl think is the best place to buy salmon etc.. as far as value for $ with regard to quality and selection , has to basically be downtown as well.looking forward to your expertise is this matter

The one place that I bought all my seafood at unfortunately closed and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Produce City Plus on Cambie used to have a fish market at the back of the store that had the freshest fish at the best prices all the time, but now that the location is becoming another condo tower, I just bite the bullet and go to Granville Island. As for fish mongers right downtown, wasn't there a pretty good one just off Robson around Thurlow (ish)?

T&T next to Tinseltown/edge of Chinatown.

Usually see farmed Salmon there though.

The products/service are idiosyncratic but the selection is large and prices often low.

It's clean and I like to look very closely at any seafood I buy-easy to do @ T&T good lighting clean and clean all 'round.

Once they get to know you they offer 'instant specials'-a low price on Rockfish if you're buying Prawns for instance.

I know you said it has to be downtown, but should you happen to be magically teleported to the North Shore and then the Lion's Gate falls down behind you under the weight of traffic, your best bet is the Dundarave Fish Market.

Great place to go for dinner, too.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Only at the docks in Delta, and it's the only way that my mom and I will buy our fish if we're buying a lot. The Steveston docks are quite expensive, usually about $2 or $3 higher per lb than the Delta docks. If you have a car, it's worth the trek!! Last summer I picked up some small sockeyes for about $6 each and the large ones were $6 a lb. About $15-$20 per fish. For Sockeye!!

I buy off the fishermen at the wharf next to Granville Island. Prices are lower than in the market, you get a nice chat about where they get the fish, etc. and you get to know them which is always a good thing. Their wild salmon is especially good. And while you are there you can wander up to Go Fish and get some of their tasty food.

The only drawback is that the selection can be limited. Usually salmon, cod and some halibut. Lots of shrimp too.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Last time we were at Go Fish we watched with some astonishment as a reefer truck with a Surrey address on the side pulled up and began delivering boxes of frozen fish to the boats selling fish at the so called "Fisherman's Wharf". So don't think the stuff you buy there is caught by the people that sell it to you. Yet another illusion shattered.

The docks in Delta on the Fraser!! If you don't mind driving, truly the only place to buy seafood that's a really good deal. And they catch it themselves (my mom and I have spent many an afternoon talking to the guys down there, they now phone her when they get in with new fish)

Yes the fisherman in Steveston seem to be legit - but the guys at Granville Island appear to be imposters.

The Seven Seas at 4th and Vine has been a reliable fishmonger over many years - though they are no cheaper than Granville Island.

hmm i've heard that robert clark, chef of "c" is a big fan of the product sold off "the queen of thetis" down at fisherman's wharf, btw as far as varieties what should i looking for i know sockeye is very tasty but also expensive how does say coho or others compare?

T and T on first at Nanaimo (?). My first choice is always the place across from Oyama in the GI market. I'm happy to pay a little more to get good fish. Is it Longliner?

Dave ... the T&T is at Renfrew & 1st in the crappiest little mall I have ever seen. Only reason to go there is the T&T.

The Place across from Oyama in Granville Island is The Salmon Shop. Longliner is on your Left as you enter the market on the SW corner. That's where I shop ... but I'm biased since I put myself through university working there. The Moorehead family was one of the original shops in the market, and do a great job with the basics ... like salmon for example. Jim was a halibut fisherman for years and still maintains connections in the industry. He's often able to get fresh when nobody else can.

A.

Last time we were at Go Fish we watched with some astonishment as a reefer truck with a Surrey address on the side pulled up and began delivering boxes of frozen fish to the boats selling fish at the so called "Fisherman's Wharf". So don't think the stuff you buy there is caught by the people that sell it to you. Yet another illusion shattered.

Hilarious!!! :laugh: The first time I saw Fisherman's Wharf, I thought that those boats appeared to be jammed in their pretty tightly, and I thought it would be quite a chore to "put to sea". Gotta learn to listen to that litte voice in my head more often.....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The one place that I bought all my seafood at unfortunately closed and I haven't been able to replace it yet.  Produce City Plus on Cambie used to have a fish market at the back of the store that had the freshest fish at the best prices all the time, but now that the location is becoming another condo tower, I just bite the bullet and go to Granville Island.  As for fish mongers right downtown, wasn't there a pretty good one just off Robson around Thurlow (ish)?

Tricia, my husband is in the seafood industry and he recommends Seafood City at Granville Island. They are the same owners as the Seafood City inside Produce City. Mr. Hamatake owns both retail outlets and his fish is always very fresh. They are located on the east side of the public market.

peppyre you have peaked my interest regarding the delta wharf, couple of questions:is it located down the on the government wharf in ladner? also is it every day all year round, and if so approximate hours? lots of questions i know...

It's actually just off River Road in North Delta, kind of in the Industrial area and truly if you didn't know the area, you would never think that there were fishing boats there, let alone docks. I have found that early spring and summer is when you are guaranteed to find fish down there, but there are some of them that go out all year long. I will ask my mom to post some more detailed info about it and I think she does have numbers for a few of the fishmen. I'll get back to you :smile:

Seafood City at Granville Island is my favorite but I always check out the other two shops if I'm there (Longliner and Salmon Shop). Also Lobster Man for the shellfish.

The boats in False Creek only sell frozen fish which isn't always my first choice. I've gotten extremely good fresh musssels from time to time though.

I think the ownership of Seven Seas has changed (about 1 1/2 yrs ago?) and the freshness (and knowledge) has taken a bit of a dive. The size and quality of their crab cakes certainly has!

There's a new (about a year I think) shop on Hastings a block and a bit east of Nanaimo (north side) that has a small selection of very fresh fish. I've bot both halibut and Salmon there 8 or 10 times and it's been very good. Cheaper than Granville Island by a couple of bucks a pound. I gather their first choce for locations was going to be Commercial drive but rent was way too much!

Another place that's really good is at the back of Oakridge centre. Nice little Chinese fish monger a couple of doors down from the Kin's market.

Right now the local cod, snapper and sole are absolutely fabulous and cheap (well compared to Black Cod, salmon & halibut)! No Captain Highliner in this house!

Interesting...

The last time I bought salmon there the guy told me a whole story where he caught it, etc. I wonder if this is part of the illusion or is there something else going on here.

It doesn't make too much sense since Go Fish prides itself on buying straight off the fishermen, presumably the guys down at the wharf.

Weird is all I can say.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Interesting...

The last  time I bought salmon there the guy told me a whole story where he caught it, etc. I wonder if this is part of the illusion or is there something else going on here.

It doesn't make too much sense since Go Fish prides itself on buying straight off the fishermen, presumably the guys down at the wharf.

Weird is all I can say.

Just had a late lunch at GoFish today and I saw big boxes of frozen stuff being unloaded onto a boat - so I am not sure about what is going on. I don't think that it is a big conspiracy - just something I am not gettting the full picture on.

I am also not sure that GoFish gets all of their stuff off the boats. Had some fantastic Halibut there - but I don't think that it is being fished right now.

I've seen the truck from the seafood company unloading onto the boats as well.

In the beginning I know only seafood caught aboard the vessel was allowed to be sold on that dock that's why it was founded to give Commercial fishermen an outlet.

It's 'possible' that the trucks are delivering the boat's own fish that is in storage-not every boat has the ability to maintain long term frozen fish like the Tuna trollers do.

I've only ever bought fresh Shrimp and frozen Tuna so I haven't had to opportunity to question any boat owner as to why the deliveries-not that I'd believe what they tell me I've been lied to @ Steveston a number of times about seafood providence.It's become something of a game to ask where the fish is from when I know I'll be told a complete falsehood.

As to Halibut it's all frozen now-January is completely closed for Halibut and the season commercially won't open for another month or more.The Halibut I've seen on offer around town is tired and brown around the edges-it doesn't take freezing well unless vacuum packed.