• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili chicken

origamicrane

gallery_18280_734_70939.jpg

Hi I had this dish in HK (Shui Hu Ju in lang kwai fong)

its chilli chicken or its mostly chillis with a little chicken :raz:

it hurt so good!! :biggrin:

basically they used black chicken and they probably tossed it in flour, fry it then stir fried it with a wok full of chillis and other seasoning.

This was so hot that after the first piece you really couldn't tasty anything and for my friends it burns on the way in and the way out but hell we masochists! But the first bite tastes really nice a flavourful and then you get overwhelmed by the pure heat and you down a glass of lemonade to each bite!!

so has anyone got a recipe for this?

as not sure if they deep fried it in chilli oil if they used fresh or dried chillis etc

so if you know how to make this please post a recipe

so i can torture my indian friends who think they're the pope of chilli town :raz:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I don't think you're supposed to eat the chillies (which are dried, btw) - you're just supposed to pick out the pieces of chicken. It's kind of like a treasure hunt, trying to find the edible bits.

Mango juice is supposed to ease the burn.

yeah anything acidic i think will cool the burn :)

yeah there only a handful of chicken piece in that massive bowl of chillis.

I be really impressed if anyone could eat all those chillis!!!

and they probably need an ambulane to take them to the hospital to get their head checked afterwards!!

If you are going to make this dish at home, you'd better be sure ALL the windows and doors are opened!

You'd have to stir fry the chilis in hot oil to release the flavour and heat before cooking the chicken. Restaruants have huge exhausthoods to take away the choking fumes. I can't imagine what it would be like to cook that many chilis in a house! :shock:

Beer, any dairy product, or slices of fresh lemon can help cool the tongue.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

:biggrin:

hehe

will i need to wear a chemical warfare protective suit?

was only going to make a smaller portion as you really can't eat much of it before your tongue collapses :raz:

:biggrin:

hehe

will i need to wear a chemical warfare protective suit?

was only going to make a smaller portion as you really can't eat much of it before your tongue collapses :raz:

You'll need an asbestos toilet seat....

ow.

true true

:wink:

I believe that Fuchsia has a recipe for this in her book.

Meant to say in my above post that it's papaya juice that's supposed to be good for eating with spicy food, not mango.

If you're still in Hong Kong, you should try Man Jiang Hong for Sichuan food. It's good, authentic and much cheaper than Shui Hu Ju. It's at 1/F Thai Kong Building, 482 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, tel: 2838 8811. Entrance is not on Hennessy Road but around the corner, I believe on Percival Street. On the ground floor you'll see a food counter - it used to sell a lot of ingredients for Sichuan food but the selection is now pretty limited. The restaurant is upstairs. They have Sichuan hotpot but I like the regular menu much better. They have this chilli chicken dish that you like plus lots more.

its chilli chicken or its mostly chillis with a little chicken  :raz:

It looks more like Chicken Chili than Chili Chicken. (And chicken is optional)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

so i can torture my indian friends who think they're the pope of chilli town :raz:

I used to think like that until I found that the Thais beat us hollow, I bow before them. That Thai bird chilli is something.

Nothing to beat a Mango Lassi to ease the pain.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

its chilli chicken or its mostly chillis with a little chicken  :raz:

It looks more like Chicken Chili than Chili Chicken. (And chicken is optional)

hmmm... that be a good name for a rebranded version in my future restaurant

or KFC :raz:

Chillicken Good!!