• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advanced Garde Manger Class

Tonyy13

I would like to just post some pics on my students food that they did for their grand buffet here at OCA yesterday. They worked hard all three weeks to put out some pretty sexy food. We built platters, then did individual plates for a few of the plattered components. Hope you enjoy!!

These are cool little mini egg benedict, with poached quail eggs rather than chicken eggs. Sevruga on top...

gallery_23382_695_1106837741.jpg

This is an awesome terrine that we made with Foie Gras, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, and Duck Confit that was seasoned with Whole Grain Mustard. Truffle on top for kicks...

gallery_23382_695_1106837692.jpg

A cool cleff ice carving that one of the talented chefs at the shool did with the class, with some of our Louisiana Crawdads...

gallery_23382_695_1106837657.jpg

We had some frog's legs that we needed to use up, so we cornmeal dusted them, and served them with a curried cauliflower and cous cous salad with some cajun brunoise...

gallery_23382_695_1106837890.jpg

We did a little seared scallops on a chive cream with smoked paprika oil, and a petit pear tomato salad w/ IFLP

gallery_23382_695_1106837847.jpg

gallery_23382_695_1106837784.jpg

For the individual plating of the foie terrine, we did a deconstructed plate of blanched asparagus, roasted cherry tomatoes, toast, and then a whole grain mustard sauce.

gallery_23382_695_1106838004.jpg

Edited because hot means sexy AND also warmed... confusing :wacko:

Edited again, because we didn't serve anything that was rotting... :hmmm:

Edited by Tonyy13 (log)

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Well, I'm impressed, for what it's worth.

That roasted tomato and asparagus salad thing looks especially wonderful, and especially do-able at home. Care to share details?

Also, the "smoked paprika oil" -- is that something you made on site, or something you purchased? I'm always looking for stuff like that ... whether in a bottle or in a recipe.

That leftover turkey I brought for lunch just got a lot less exciting. But my compliments on the pics, Tony. You guys can cook for me anytime!

hot terrine that we made with Foie Gras, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, and Duck Confit that was seasoned with Whole Grain Mustard. Truffle on top for kicks...

Would love to hear more about this and the way in which it was made and the layers ... possible, Tony??

This kind of food makes me think that the Orlando/Florida food is dreadful complaints may one day be a thing of the past! Or it is my fervent wish ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Also, the "smoked paprika oil" -- is that something you made on site, or something you purchased?  I'm always looking for stuff like that ... whether in a bottle or in a recipe.

JGM, Thanks for the nice comments, yes, the paprika oil is something that we made here in class. Took about 20 seconds, so here we go...

1) Heat whatever amount of oil you want to make to a medium high temperature (ballpark here, not a big deal as far as amounts or heat, although it should be reletively warm)

2) Pour warm oil over the smoked paprika (which is available all over the place, check local specialty shops, or you can totaly find it online) in a metal or other heatproof container.

3)Let cool. If the paprika starts to burn, you don't have to let it cool, but I find that the flavor is nicer. I also find that it burns easily if it isn't being watched.

4)Strain through a coffee filter, cheesecloth, or an old dishtowel.

Should stay together forever.

hot terrine that we made with Foie Gras, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, and Duck Confit that was seasoned with Whole Grain Mustard. Truffle on top for kicks...

Would love to hear more about this and the way in which it was made and the layers ... possible, Tony??

The terrine was awesome, but it was not hot, as in warm. It was hot, as in sexy!! :raz: Easy to do though, albeit more time consuming than the paprika oil...

1)Devein the foie gras. Temper in the vacuum packed packaging under body temperature water until the lob is thick peanut butter consistency. Butterfly it out and remove all of the veins. Create a curing mixture of 1/2 kosher and 1/2 sugar. Sprinkle liberally all over the lobe. Spritz the whole thing with Bourbon, Cognac, Brandy, whatever you like. Cure in fridge for 24 hours.

2) Shred Duck Confit, and mix in a bowl w/ whole grain mustard, a little red wine vinegar or whatever the hell you want (no one is going to arrest you if you play around).

3) Strip black trumpet mushrooms, and wash severl times (or whatever mush you want...doestn' matter). Saute and deglaze w/ a bit of lemon, as lemon ALWAYS brings out mushrooms like you wouldn't believe. Drain on a towel.

4. Slice some proscuitto di Parma, or buy it. Line a terrine mold (or whatever you want to mold this in) first with a few layers of plastic wrap, making sure that you have left enough to cover the top, and in turn, the bottom. Do the same w/ proscuitto (or whatever you want, mortadella, sopprasotta, or leeks, spinach, WHATEVER!! You guys gettin the hint yet about the whatever you want?).

5. Either A)poach the foie gras in duck fat that has been heated to about 150 for about 2 minutes, or roast it in the oven till it just starts to get soft. Cut it into strips, and cut the strips paralell w/ the mold.

6. Put the mushrooms on top of the foie gras.

7. Warm a little bit of glace or even some broth with some gelatin added or anything else that will gel a little bit when it is cooled. Coat the duck that has been lightly warmed w/ it. Finish the top layer by putting more than you would think, coming out of the terrine by at least 1/8 of an inch.

8. Drape the proscuitto and the plastic wrap over the top of the terrine, and make a top that fits the terrine (or item) out of cardboard or styrofoam, and place it on top, weighing it down with a brick or some cans of food. Press for 24 hours.

9. Remove carfully and slice. Enjoy... it was sexy terrine... :cool::wub:

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Bill,

Thanks for the comments, the students are excited that something that they made is creating "hype" such as this.

The school is open for lunch at 11:30 I believe, and they stay open until about 1 or 1:30. Reservation only.

The lunch menu is again, all about quicker bistro style of food.

Dinner is open at 6:30, and they seat until 7:30. Only an hour, and reservations are required.

Dinner is a much more sit down meal, with a little bit nicer food. The food cost is ludicris, way above what a normal restaurant would run, so a great deal for the diner, and again, wine prices can't be beat anywhere in Orlando. If you want the Contact info, pm me, I am not sure how they would feel about me posting it here... coorporate red tape.

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

That roasted tomato and asparagus salad thing looks especially wonderful, and especially do-able at home. Care to share details?

Sorry I left this one out. Very easy.

Blanch asparagus in water as salty as the sea (a good general rule of thumb for vegetable cookery)

Half cherry tomatoes, place on a sheet pan, and top with very thinly sliced garlic. Dous with Olive Oil, and topthe whole thing w/ whole sprigs of fresh thyme. Roast in a 400 degree oven till they look sexy. They go awesome with just about everything, to be honest, my favorite is with breakfast. Good w/ fish, meat, foie, etc.

Enjoy

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Lovely items that look very tasty.

You might want to reconsider the following wording:

...we did a decomposed plate of blanched asparagus, roasted cherry tomatoes, toast, and then a whole grain mustard sauce.

Unless, of course, you did want to imply that the food in question had gone off. "Deconstructed" is likely the term you're looking for, though I've never really the point of using it either.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Lovely items that look very tasty.

You might want to reconsider the following wording:

...we did a decomposed plate of blanched asparagus, roasted cherry tomatoes, toast, and then a whole grain mustard sauce.

Unless, of course, you did want to imply that the food in question had gone off. "Deconstructed" is likely the term you're looking for, though I've never really the point of using it either.

Thanks, your right, went the opposite of composed salad, and ended up with rotten... :sad:

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Tony, it looks like you have really skilled students, a fact that is undoubtedly due in significant part to your excellence as a teacher. I hope you'll take time out to post photos of more of your students' creations in the future.

Michael aka "Pan"

Very nice... quail eggs could do with a bit of a trim, but I'm picking hairs. :)

At what level of study are your students?

must dash - I have an appointment later on in the day with a rifle and some wild rabbits.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Tony:

Very impressive! Your students are well prepared for the dog-eat-dog (or something like that) culinary world upon graduation. You should be very proud, both of your students and of yourself for imparting your wisdom in a way that has such tangible, aethetically beautiful and clearly delicious results!

must dash - I have an appointment later on in the day with a rifle and some wild rabbits.

Brief OT digression:

Is anyone else hearing Bugs and Daffy going back and forth:

"It's DUCK season!", "RABBIT season", "No, DUCK season!", etc.? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Very nice...  quail eggs could do with a bit of a trim, but I'm picking hairs. :)

At what level of study are your students?

Culinary Bear, you're right, they could use a bit of a trim, sometimes you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!!!!! As compared to some of the student's work I have seen in the past, I am VERY happy with what they did for this buffet, so the quail egg's appearance wasn't something to complain about.

These students have only 9 weeks to go, out of a total of 12 months in the school. They will take Euro/Asian next class, and then go to Machon, our restaurant, where they will spend three weeks in the back of the house, and three weeks in the front of the house.

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

I hope you'll take time out to post photos of more of your students' creations in the future.

I will try to, but I will be in the creative wasteland in basics I for the next three weeks. A whole segment of "this is a carrot. this is a piece of celery. This is a hotel pan, and we call it a hotel pan because....." so my life will be quite boring over the course of the next three weeks. Sorry :hmmm:

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Gorgeous Food!!! Isn't it wonderful to see young/novice cooks get that "I GET it" look on their faces???!!!

Everything looks scrumptious, and your recipes are much appreciated. The terrine will be on my schedule for this weekend. Yum.

PS......I cook food, read about food, write about food, and have somehow missed the onset of the use of the word "sexy" in reference to comestibles...is that the latest "in" word in menu usage? Just wondering how it came about.

PS......I cook food, read about food, write about food, and have somehow missed the onset of the use of the word "sexy" in reference to comestibles...is that the latest "in" word in menu usage?    Just wondering how it came about.

Rachel,

Thanks for the kind words, yes, it is awesome to see a young person who looks at something that they did, and realize that someone out there would be willing to pay literally three times more than they know it would cost them in a supermarket!! That is one of the best parts of my job, when students get excited. As far as sexy goes, I have yet to use the word sexy on a menu, it has just become part of my vocabulary, as it was a new adjective that I heard used to describe food once I started working in fine dining establishments. I am known at the school as the "Sexy Food Chef", which unfortunately doestn' mean that I am sexy, but rather that I call food sexy. I don't know, for me, it just describes everythign perfectly, no room for error. Some people say that food is nice, and you might not understand the level that are reffering to. Is it what you would consider REALLY nice, or somewhat nice, or better than bad, or what? There is no grey area with Sexy, everyone knows what I am talking about, as they know that the adjective is a high level of praise.

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Got it!!! Ne plus ultraness to the nth degree...that's it!

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. Somewhere in my reading past, there was a series writer who described the tastes, aromas, succulences, unctuosity, mouthfeel, mouthwateringness in the most elaborate detail, and his favorite word for the best of the best was "cockaigne." I've always remembered that word, though I may not have spelled it correctly.

Wish I could remember who he was---does anyone recall anything like that in readings of past years?

Hotels such as Marriot, Ritz, and Hilton who were known for their large foodservice operations, would cook food, and them pan it up into large, standardized pans , hence the term "hotel pan"

Tonyy13

tony_adams@mac.com

Fantastic photos! Great recipe break-down as well, Bravo! You are clearly in your element and I bet the students are thrilled.

Once I tried to poach a few quail eggs to surprise my better half and got stuck at the start just opening the little things. Have you a secret for opening their tough shells?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Fantastic photos! Great recipe break-down as well, Bravo!  You are clearly in your element and I bet the students are thrilled.

Once I tried to poach a few quail eggs to surprise my better half and got stuck at the start just opening the little things.  Have you a secret for opening their tough shells?

Without stepping on the instructors toes, I use a pairing knife and pierce the side of the narrow end of the egg and make a small turn with the knife to loosen the shell. Then you can pull the top back and expose the egg.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."