• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the hunt for thai ingredients

peter_nyc

I just got my hands on David Thompson's Thai Food and Hot Sour Salty Sweet... really looking forward to trying a bunch of the recipes. The only problem is that I don't know where to get some of the lesser-known ingredients. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to get galangal, holy basil, kaffir limes and/or their leaves, and palm sugar?

I've tried the Vietnamese markets down by Grand Street, but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Got them all at Kalustan's. On like 28th and Lex.. The kaffir they have at Citerella also.. But the kaffir leaves, galangal they have frozen, powdered and dried, palm sugar all is at Kaluystans. What are you using the Palm Sugar for?

I just got my hands on David Thompson's Thai Food and Hot Sour Salty Sweet... really looking forward to trying a bunch of the recipes.  The only problem is that I don't know where to get some of the lesser-known ingredients.  Does anybody have any recommendations on where to get galangal, holy basil, kaffir limes and/or their leaves, and palm sugar?

I've tried the Vietnamese markets down by Grand Street, but no luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like a curry. Ditto the recommendation for Bangkok Grocery. I was there the other day and that had everything on your list, though the kefir limes where frozen. I bought some of their imported curry paste - Nittaya, the brand is called -- and made an excellent red curry.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The palm sugar is for the curries, yes.

Thanks everyone for the rec's. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to use pre-made curry paste. I've never tried making one from scratch, so I wanted to give it a shot-- we'll see how adventurous I'm feeling once I get to the market.

edit: spelling

Edited by peter_nyc (log)

Just posted this over on the 'best of' thread but Thai and Indonesia Grocery on Mott at Bayard is a good resource if you're in the neighborhood. I've had occasional fresh kafir limes but they always have the fresh leaves in stock. They also have frozen, vacuum sealed galangal. And big ol' blocks of palm sugar, and tamarind pulp, which I guess is easyier to find, but it keeps things all under one roof?

edited to add the palm sugar

Edited by FatTony (log)

Ditto Orik and JJ on the Mosco Street place. If you're thinking of going with a premade paste, I believe they sell some that they make themselves. They also sell what is IMO the best coconut milk you can get in the City.

--

Just posted this over on the 'best of' thread but Thai and Indonesia Grocery on Mott at Bayard is a good resource if you're in the neighborhood.[...]

Agreed, and when both they and the store on Mosco have the same items, Udon's on Bayard between Mott and Mulberry (which is the store you're talking about) is cheaper, in my experience.

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know the brand, but it's frozen in rectangular double plastic bags. If you ask the guy which brand of coconut milk they have is best, this is what he will show you.

That stuff is da bomb! It's much thicker and richer than the coconut milk from the can. I'll sometimes buy it in the afternoon and let it defrost in my bag on the way home.

Edit: and Pan's right, there are a couple shops on (or just off) Bayard that have much of the same stuff as the Mosco street store, and cheaper. But the Mosco Street shop is friendlier and much easier for the neophyte to navigate.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I agree; they're friendly, nice people, and I like to buy some prepared desserts and semi-savory items from them. Plus, the difference in price usually isn't that significant.

Michael aka "Pan"