• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY News: D'Artagnan turns 20

Bond Girl

Not that I like ducks, but if I do, I'd be saving the labels from D'artagnan. Between now and June 30, send in five labels and get a complimentary copy of the "Glorious Game Cookbook".

Even if you don't like ducks, here is a few fun event to chase away the winter blahs. During the week of February 20 through 28th, there will be a dinner series of Les Nouvelles Meres Cuisineres, during which A group of women chefs-the "meres"-will prepare special dinners at restaurants around the city. This year, there are two honorary male "meres", and the list of participating restaurants include: Alain Ducasse, Per Se, Gaby's, Tribeca Grill, Aureole, Daniel, Oscar's, Dumonet and MOMA. On Saturday, February 26, from noon to 4pm, it's the Duckathlon. For $20 per person, you get to join a team of four and visit a series restaurants or shops. At each stop, you will be asked to perform a task or answer a question and given the direction for next stop. Points are gathered throughout the day and the winner gets a grand prize. On Sunday, Febrauary 27, there is a Decadent Lunch. This one benefits the Jean-Louis Palladin Foundation. The same "meres" will prepare one course at some of the most prestigious restaurants in NYC (the list includes Jean George, Per Se and Mix among others), and you get shuttled from one location to another on a chartered luxury bus.

Of course, we all know that d'Artagnan is more than just ducks.

For more info: check out http://www.dartagnan.com

source: press release from Teuwen One Image

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Not that I like ducks, but if I do, I'd be saving the labels from D'artagnan.  Between now and June 30, send in five labels and get a complimentary copy of the "Glorious Game Cookbook".

Even if you don't like ducks, here is a few fun event to chase away the winter blahs. During the week of February 20 through 28th, there will be a dinner series of Les Nouvelles Meres Cuisineres, during which A group of women chefs-the "meres"-will prepare special dinners at restaurants around the city. This year, there are two honorary male "meres", and the list of participating restaurants include: Alain Ducasse, Per Se, Gaby's, Tribeca Grill, Aureole, Daniel, Oscar's, Dumonet and MOMA.  On Saturday, February 26, from noon to 4pm, it's the Duckathlon. For $20 per person, you get to join a team of four and visit a series restaurants or shops. At each stop, you will be asked to perform a task or answer a question and given the direction for next stop. Points are gathered throughout the day and the winner gets a grand prize. On Sunday, Febrauary 27, there is a Decadent Lunch. This one benefits the Jean-Louis Palladin Foundation.  The same "meres" will prepare one course at some of the most prestigious restaurants in NYC (the list includes Jean George, Per Se and Mix among others), and you get shuttled from one location to another on a chartered luxury bus.

Of course, we all know that d'Artagnan is more than just ducks.

For more info: check out http://www.dartagnan.com

source: press release from Teuwen One Image

sounds like fun. any interest in these teams?

I wanna play!!!!

"darkwing ducks"?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There's an interesting line up of female chefs and I'd be curious to know what some of them are cooking here in New York. On the other hand, at a few of the restaurants in question, I'd think my money might be better spent on the resident chef and the appearance of a guest chef might not be so interesting unless I was a regular who know the regular chef's food very well. However, there is a lesser known chef whose restaurant in a tiny village in a remote part of France, is one I've touted many times in the France forum.

Nicole Fagegaltier and her sister, run a charming restaurant in a tiny stone village in the Aveyron. Less than a year after our first visit, they renovated a small stone building across the stream with guest rooms. Our first visit was promted by a page in the GaultMillau guide which credited the restaurant as offering the best value for the price in all France. It seemd an absurd statement, but truthfully, after dining there, we were not ready to argue otherwise. Chef Fagegaltier is going to be cooking at Gaby's, the restaurant in the Sofitel. It's a new hotel in NY and a new restaurant. I've heard nothing about Gaby's or its chef, but it will be personally interesting to see what Chef Fagegaltier will do here.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

There's an interesting line up of female chefs and I'd be curious to know what some of them are cooking here in New York. On the other hand, at a few of the restaurants in question, I'd think my money might be better spent on the resident chef and the appearance of a guest chef might not be so interesting unless I was a regular who know the regular chef's food very well. However, there is a lesser known chef whose restaurant in a tiny village in a remote part of France, is one I've touted many times in the France forum.

Nicole Fagegaltier and her sister, run a charming restaurant in a tiny stone village in the Aveyron. Less than a year after our first visit, they renovated a small stone building across the stream with guest rooms. Our first visit was promted by a page in the GaultMillau guide which credited the restaurant as offering the best value for the price in all France. It seemd an absurd statement, but truthfully, after dining there, we were not ready to argue otherwise. Chef Fagegaltier is going to be cooking at Gaby's, the restaurant in the Sofitel. It's a new hotel in NY and a new restaurant. I've heard nothing about Gaby's or its chef, but it will be personally interesting to see what Chef Fagegaltier will do here.

how to describe gaby's?? french-owned & operated, but feel as if one is in a netherworld between french heaven & american hell. it would appear, at least IMHO, there would be a certain je ne sais quoi but that is de-emphasized unfortunately. the only thing resembling françois is the owner & possibly the menu. its almost as if they have gone out of their way to discourage a visit to gaby's. go for yourself & see if u agree.

That's a pity. I've found a few reviews of Gaby's on hotel booking sites. They're quite positive. They also sound as if they've been written by people who like hotel food and who haven't been too close to either France or food restaurants. Okay, that's unfair of me to say, but they weren't very convincing. I wonder what a visiting chef will be able to accomplish, if it's a hack kitchen. I hope Chef Fagegaltier gets to see some better kitchens while she's here. I guess I hope you're wrong about Gaby's, although I'm not holding my breath.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 weeks later...

just "winging" this back to the top....anyone want to go play ?????

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association