• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef

RETREVR

Part of my attraction to Iron Chef is to come up with a menu that I would create if I were in the battle. I usually do this in the first few minutes of the show. Sometimes thought s linger for a few days, or they appear in actual menu items.

For instance in the IC America premier they had bison.

I was thinking of a Bison tournedos atop green chile cornbread croutons, with a maple bourbon glace.

Perhaps an oven made pemmican.

Five spice bbq ribs with a pomegranit sauce.

Maybe a bison philli cheese steak for Morimoto.

Bison tatsuda tossed with peppers and onions.

A pepper crusted internally larded loin sliced very thin plated with alternating slices of the loin and very thin sliced smoked salmon. I don't know about the sauce.

What would you cook?

Edited by RETREVR (log)

Definately a bison and bacon cheese burger, probably miniature

pan seared bison mignonette rossini

deconstructed bison chili

bison steak and eggs with welch's grape jelly and toast

arugala, endive, and apple salad with grilled bison

I think my time is up I need to start cooking.

BTW what is tatsuda and pemmican?

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

bison carpaccio (peppercorn coated and edge-grilled) with horseradish and basil aioli came to mind when i saw the ingredient.

perhaps a bison twist on a peruvian lomo saltado would be in order?

flank strips fried with blue corn flour and ground walnut with a honey-burbon-allspice cream sauce could work.

finish off with shabu-shabu thin strips of steak marinated in milk and bitter chocolate, grilled in a clove-honey mixture, and served with spiced pears as a psuedo-desert.

BTW what is tatsuda and pemmican?

I was thinking pemmican was more of a jerky, but it is a dried meat blended with berries and fat.

http://www.recipesource.com/munchies/snacks/01/rec0108.html

Tatsuta is cubes of meat marinated in a soy sauce mixture, coated in flour and fried. Very simple, very tasty. You can use other meats, even chicken. This is the first recipe I came across...there may be better ones.

http://www.kikkoman.com/cgi-bin/rcp.cgi?re...d+daikon+radish

bison carpaccio (peppercorn coated and edge-grilled) with horseradish and basil aioli came to mind when i saw the ingredient.

That is sort of where I was going with my dish with the smoke salmon. I saw Flays loin that was rare(raw) and sliced four inches thick. I was thinking that if he sliced it differently it would be better.

That is sort of where I was going with my dish with the smoke salmon. I saw Flays loin that was rare(raw) and sliced four inches thick. I was thinking that if he sliced it differently it would be better.

thats what i thought when i saw him making it. then again, its really easy to be a monday morning quarterback with iron chef.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only a home foody and when I decide to make a fine dinner I sweat about it for a day or two in advance, running through my moves in my head as I drift off to sleep. It's fun to jab at the Iron Chefs but I imagine that their time in the stadium is a lot like defending a murder defendant- ony they have to do it in an hour.

/shudder

"Adkins" is the Hunter-Gatherer diet.

"Low Fat" is the early agrarian diet.

I live civilized: I want it ALL!

What does bison liver taste like i wonder.. I would be curious about the organs.

Edit to add: I would definately take the wings from the buffalo a la Jessica Simpson and maybe serve with a side of blue cheese. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)