• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Little Habits

chefreit

Hi everyone,

I know I can't be the only one.

I love the cheese biscuits at RL, the fries at McD's, and dare I say the Cinnobun at that place! These are just a few to say the least! I love good food these are just some vices I can't let go.

Anybody else! Have some nasty little habits they would like to share with the food world. Speak-UP!

Harry

Da' Jersey Guy

:wacko:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

OK, I have to admit, I just don't GET the McDonalds french fry thing. I hear people in my city (NYC) claim all the tiime that the best fries in the city are at McD's. Huh? When I eat them, all I can taste is salt and bad grease. No hint of potato anywhere in those fries. And the texture is totally weird. For my taste, the best fries anywhere are to be found in Belgium. And in NYC, I am partial to those Belgian-style frite shops that were so popular about 10 years ago.

But I do have a nasty food habit. I am totally intrigued by the combination of melted cheese over carbs. A prime example would be one of those nacho plates in pub-grub restaurants. But best of all, totally best of all is...

Poutine!

OK, I have to admit, I just don't GET the McDonalds french fry thing. I  hear people in my city (NYC) claim all the tiime that the best fries in the city are at McD's. Huh? When I eat them, all I can taste is salt and bad grease. No hint of potato anywhere in those fries. And the texture is totally weird.  For my taste, the best fries anywhere are to be found in Belgium. And in NYC, I am partial to those Belgian-style frite shops that were so popular about 10 years ago.

But I do have a nasty food habit. I am totally intrigued by the combination of melted cheese over carbs. A prime example would be one of those nacho plates in pub-grub restaurants. But best of all, totally best of all is...

Poutine!

Have to admit Mcd's not my fav fry spot. Just trying to hit a point home. Also the grease, & salt -(minus) potato is what makes them so GOOD! (Hey isn't that low carb?)

NYC 2nd ave. Belg Fites, LOVE THESE! However, NJ Shore white vinger fries, fried in oil from last year, I buy'em a pail at a time.

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

I've figured out the Red Lobster secret. They put cocaine in those cheese biscuits, I swear...

My whole family loves the place and I used to always get ill after I ate there (under duress, I might add - except for those biscuits). Then I figured it out. I was ordering stuff that is ALWAYS on the menu and thus must always be frozen.

Now when I am forced to Red Lobster for familial togetherness, I order whatever is fresh. Grilled with their garlic butter sauce is usually okay and I don't end up losing my cookies as I used to do.

Poutine!

Poutine? Pass (the bucket). However, Au Pied De Cochon in Montreal serves a version topped with a sizeable quantity of foie gras.

Now, if it was Taiwanese street vendor squidsickles with the big slightly charred tentacles we'd be singing a different story. Or the Clam Guy's stall at the Boston Haymarket. I do Big Macs once a year, same with Klik sandwiches though the latter is more of a childhood reminder thing.

Red Lobsters and their cheese biscuits have disappeared from Quebec (we have to drive to Ontario to get some; sort of like what we're doing for alcohol right now).

Now when I am forced to Red Lobster for familial togetherness, I order whatever is fresh. Grilled with their garlic butter sauce is usually okay and I don't end up losing my cookies as I used to do.

That should be the basis of their next add campaign. :raz:

Bill Russell

Red Lobsters and their cheese biscuits have disappeared from Quebec (we have to drive to Ontario to get some; sort of like what we're doing for alcohol right now).

You can't buy alcohol in Quebec? I always thought it was the most European of the Canadian provinces...

I'll second (or third) how wonderful Poutine is. Thing is, I have never, ever, had bad poutine in Canada. Heck, I even got some from a KFC in Gannanoque a couple years ago and it was hellaciously good.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

You can't buy alcohol in Quebec? I always thought it was the most European of the Canadian provinces...

I'll second (or third) how wonderful Poutine is. Thing is, I have never, ever, had bad poutine in Canada. Heck, I even got some from a KFC in Gannanoque a couple years ago and it was hellaciously good.

The province-run liquor store employees are striking. Now Imagine if the COUNTRY of Quebec had no liquor? :)

And for you to motion to a bucket at the thought of poutine makes me very sad. I think you must leave La Belle Province to us Ontarians who indulge each time we're in your fair province.

Chacun son gout :)

You can't buy alcohol in Quebec?  I always thought it was the most European of the Canadian provinces...

Unfortunately, CharityCase is correct: provincial SAQ workers are now into their ninth week of the strike and have since associated themselves with an even bigger union to keep going. Hope it'll end soon, as it hurts everyone.

Before the holidays you could either stand in line for hours or make a run for the Ontario border; I couldn't get to Calgary but found good BC wines in Winnipeg of all places. It's less hectic now, but there are only 8 outlets open on the island of Montreal (perhaps 50 province-wide) and for only a few hours a day.

Selection? Oh well.

The province-run liquor store employees are striking. Now Imagine if the COUNTRY of Quebec had no liquor? :)

I would suspect that whatever would serve as an army would be pouring over the Hawkesbury border pretty fast. :biggrin:

And for you to motion to a bucket at the thought of poutine makes me very sad. I think you must leave La Belle Province to us Ontarians who indulge each time we're in your fair province.

Chacun son gout :)

Well, you can have my poutine. I've eaten a lot of weird things in my life (e.g. frog ribs) but could never cotton onto the look or smell of poutine. Big problems with the mouth feel too.

I love Big Macs- will get one with a small fry about 3 times a year. I also get cravings for the Taco Bell double decker taco with mexi fries. Taco Time soft taco with mexi fries dipped in thousand island.

Yep, I know....it's bad. It tastes so good, until about 30 mins later. :wacko:

I also had an episode where my craving for chicken fried steak led me to a Denny's. haha! that was funny!

Thank god I don't do the donut thing.....one of the Krispy Kreme main west coast offices is just down the street from me.

I also love Pringles, eat them as often as I can justify it and serve them in my house with champagne! :blush:

I love Big Macs- will get one with a small fry about 3 times a year.

[]snip!]

Thank god I don't do the donut thing.....one of the Krispy Kreme main west coast offices is just down the street from me.

I used to do Big Macs more often until I tried that NCEP III diet that they suggest for people who are in danger of oh, keeling over from congestive heart failure. 30 grams of fibre/day while keeping fat under 30% of total caloric intake really screws up your ability to eat them.

Taco Time didn't last for more than a year in Quebec, and I don't think we've ever had a Taco Bell though we do get all the commercials. Last time I had something from Taco Bell, I was stranded by NWA at O'Hare and they were the only thing open.

Can't do Krispy Kreme either but I know two grad students who lined up when the first one opened here, ate their freebies and then left (it's not like they earned enough money to purchase luxuries like food).

Or the Clam Guy's stall at the Boston Haymarket.

Pray describe a little more. Belly or strips?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Pray describe a little more.  Belly or strips?

Fresh shucked cherrystones, but only available on the week-ends (something about a day job). Toppings were available (variety of hot sauces and some lemon wedges) but I just sucked them back plain.

Last time I was there, they were 12/$5 USD; I think I handed over a couple of Andrew Jacksons before I was dragged away.

You gotta be kidding..........I have so many bad food habits that are oh so good. How about those greasie potatoe cakes at Arby's, add extra salt and ketchup. Love Mc'ds fries, they are the best of the fast food joints in my area. I love the apple pies they have at Taco Bell, they are just like how Mc'ds orginally made theirs. MOVIE THEATER POPCORN, LOADED WITH FAKE BUTTER..............I LOVE that junk! How about the onion rings at Popeyes dipped in their ranch dressing..........YUM!

Dirty little secrets hmmmm :cool:

OK and thankfully I know of only two locations for this ...the Popeye's chicken biscuits - kinda greasy and tasting vaguely of chicken fat I think...YUM

Traditional submarine sandwich at Mr. Sub a franchise in Canada.

and not the fries at McD's but strangely I like the "hash browns" salty crispy yum!

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

McDonald's McGriddles (altho I don't often like sweet things for breakfast).

Has anyone noticed that there are times when some type of 'bad habit' is what you crave and only that will do? Like I need a Quarter Pounder and a Whopper just won't do?

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

I like Chevy's tortilla chips, but can pass on the rest of their food.

Occasionally I crave McDonald's, but I can usually talk myself out of it by getting a real burger and fries elsewhere.

Hot dogs from Costco, while shopping.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

did someone just say Taco Hell has fried apple pie?????? did i just hear/see that??

maybe just maybe I have to try that

shoprite of ramsey ......vanilla frosted donuts

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association