• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help...?!?

Curlz

Two things:

1) Adding bacon would take care of the salt problem while adding great flavor but would also present a moral dilemma in regards to a vegetarian soup.

2) Where in the world are you getting Vidalias in January?!?!?! I would kill for a bag of Vidalias but we don't see them around here until at least the end of March. I am so jealous...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is it okay to say that I love you all?!? :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Here is a great potato soup that I adapted from my Mom's Irish potato soup.

* Exported from MasterCook *

SMOKY POTATO SOUP

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 pints chicken broth -- preferably home-made

1 large russet potato -- peeled, chopped

into 1/2-inch cubes

1 large sweet potato -- peeled, chopped

into 1/2-inch cubes

1 medium white onion -- chopped

2 stalks celery -- chopped

3 slices smoked bacon -- coarsely chopped

3 large garlic cloves -- peeled

1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

cream -- if necessary to

thin soup

In a large soup pot, fry bacon over medium heat, until browned. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic for 5 minutes or until limp. Add chicken broth and potatoes to the soup pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Transfer half of soup to blender, and puree until smooth. Put pureed soup back in soup pot. Stir in rosemary and bacon. Bring the soup to a simmer. Add a little milk or broth to make soup desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Reminds me of my of safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water." W C Fields

Coarsely ground black pepper. Chopped garlic shoots or chives. A tablespoon of cider vinegar. Or a cup of grated pepper-jack cheese.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.