• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Pastry Challenge

lepatissier

The Food Network challenge . . . "Vegas Pastry Battle" will be airing this saturday at 10pm ET/PT

I dont think this has been aired in the past . . . this is the competition held at the beginning of the week during the World Pastry Competition . . .

Rerun - it's on now.

I know i'm perverse, and this is bad karma, but...i love watching them try to move the completed pieces to the judging tables.

Crunch

Crackle

Oops

Yikes.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Should they have titled this 'Food Network Sugar Challenge'?.

I don't see much pastry or dessert going on.The last good feature I saw on this station was Bobby Flays two part Foodamerica chocolate show with Pat Coston and Martin Howard.

2317/5000

I watch this last night and , like always, I am amazed at the talent showcased.

I only wish that they would include some lesser known competitors on occassion. Seeing Katherine from Mandalay Bay and Dale Fox from The Hilton was great, since I had never heard of or seen any of their work before now, but Andrew Shotts, Frederic Monti, Jody Klocko, although very talented, have been there many times, and it would be nice to see a fresh face every now and again.

That is something I also would like to see more of in PA&D. I truely love reading about new or unheard of talent, and can't wait for the latest issue of it to arrive, but many times in the "signature" section, there is a PC that has been shown in past issues, or someone who is nationally known and can be easily "researched" in other ways (googled, etc...).

In this past issue ( with Jean-Pierre Wybauw on the cover ) Scott Cohen has an article on his new pastry chef, who happens to be the PC who hired me to come to Utah. And even though we were on different sides of the fence from a management standpoint, I have alot of respect for him, as he is a great and dedicated pastry chef who is realitively unknown, but whose work I believe would be greatly appreciated by the readers of a nationally known magazine such as PA&D.

Jason

• 5 weeks later...

Although this thread is on the pastry challenge that occured a few weeks ago ( actually it was a sugar challenge ), I wanted to tell that I happenend to see that the Food network is airing a Chocolate challenge this weekend, with " 6 of the nation's top chocolate artists creating towering sculptures with the theme of love"

Did this occur at the same time as the"pastry challenge", and if so, is it the same participants or different - does anyone know?

Thanks,

Jason

As far as I know, they did the sugar showpiece challenge and the birthday cake challenge this summer (which hasn't aired yet) but I don't recall seeing the chocolate showpieces so I'm not sure when they made that one.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."